truck rack - advice

I’m not saying to worry about it, …
… but the movement is there if you take the effort to watch for it, and it becomes very easy to see once you understand what is going on. Like I say, I watch for it all the time, and I see it all the time. One little trick that will illustrate this, is next time you drive on ground that will impart a twisting force to the vehicle, put your hand out the window and stick a finger into the gap along the edge of the driver’s door (closer to the back edge of the door works best). Feel how much the door “squirms” within the door opening as your truck slowly moves along on uneven ground. That motion is frame-twist being imparted to the cab, and that’s why they make the door gaskets so big and puffy, so the “fit” is not highly critical (uni-body cars exhibit the same motion on uneven ground, for the same reason).

Once again, most boats will probably tolerate the flex and twist of most trucks just fine. I’m just saying that pickups are far from rock-solid, and there’s a reason they provide that gap between the cab and box.

Cheers to you too, Jack!

I’ve seen too many twisted beds
…to think that trucks are as rigid as a one-piece item. They’re not, and the fact that we have lots of unpaved roads and guys who tend to overload trucks probably makes this a not-unusual sight around here.

But I wouldn’t waste time worrying about kayaks on them, either. In fact, before this thread even came up I was wondering it somebody would make a kayak cradle or tower or something that was deliberately designed to move in controlled fashion, to protect the boat from hard bumps.

reminder to self
get Erics opinion in what my next vec. should be at the oz rend.(serious) sounds like youve done enough research to offer some sound advice…