Trying to understand SOTs

Rec vs racing SOT

– Last Updated: Aug-07-11 4:25 PM EST –

I think you have to separate recreational sit-on-tops from racing (surf ski) sit-on-tops for this question. Assuming that the reasons behind these two very-different types of boats would be the same doesn't make much sense.

Surf skis are very narrow. A sit-in-kayak (SINK) would be wider. Being narrow allows a more vertical paddle stroke.

Skilled racers don't need the extra stability of a SINK.

In the rare cases where they do capsize, getting back into the race is going to be much faster with a SOT than a SINK (which a lone racer would have to pump-out).

A SINK would require a skirt (in the conditions that racers use surf skis in). This would make the boat hotter and constrain the leg-pumping that racers do.

Recreational SOT avoid the "closed in" feeling that a SINK cockpit has (and many people really detest this feeling). They are easier to get into/out-of and they are cooler.

Newbies
Take a bunch of newbies out in some easy whitewater and you can appreciate SOTs even more. If you put them in rec boats, it’s a 10 to 15 minute delay every time they swamp. If you put them in whitewater boats, you have to mess with skirts, make sure they can wet exit, and then you still have to deal with them flipping and swamping.

With a SOT, you put em on and say “go”. If they fall off, you tell em to flip it upright and crawl back on.

They are also very nice on easy whitewater with frequent strainers. I am often up and helping others before anyone else can get out of their boat.

there is such a beast…
“I think there would be a market for a sub-45#, 16’-18’ long x 22”-24" wide SOT, among fishermen and others who like the deck access of a SOT, but want something that paddles more like a SINK in a more reasonable weight. That would fill a curiously missing gap between surf ski and tub."

There is such a craft: it’s a solo canoe. Superior Sawyer Shockwave, for one example. 16’8" x 28" x 46 lbs.

24" wide SOT
It’s possible to do but it would have to be fiberglass to get that weight. Don’t know of anyone building fiberglass SOT’s.

I would definitely understand why people that live in a hot weather area would get a SOT(like myself). Like many others have said, you can go for a swim, no trouble in getting back on, more freedom to move around and easy more importantly you can basically be a beginner and you’ll most likely be ok.

Narrow SOT
I don’t mind the SOT weight so much, but I would love some more speed. For a couple of years now I’ve wanted to try the RTM Midway with its 25.5" beam, and the new Necky Vector 14 (25") looks like it has potential as well.

http://www.neckykayaks.com/press_room/press_releases/vector_14/

cobra kayaks
Ryan L.

Less Extreme Example…
See it all the time on the California Coast.

A wipeout landing an SOT in heavy beach break is a quick dip, and a very short swim. Let the surf wash the boat up on the beach.

A wipe out in heavy beach break in a SINK can get ugly fast.

HoOnTop 18 AKA Heritage Shearwater
I have had that SOT for years. A Paul Cronnin HopOn Top 18 AKA Heritage Shearwater. Its 44# in Kevlar, 18’4" long, and about 22" at the design water line.

Really does not get used much. It might even be for sale soon.

The 13’3" Ocean Kayak Mars gets most of the play. Much easier to handle in tight spots like rock gardens and seas caves, and not afraid to beat the hell out of it because its plastic.

Wrong assumption
Not sure how it is that adding a deck to a ski is supposed to lower the center of gravity and get you more stability. The seat in a ski is generally already as low as it can get. What’s preventing excessive flooding isn’t that the seat is high in the boat, it’s that the volume of the seat and footwell is low enough that they’re mostly full of paddler and there isn’t much room for water.

Thanks Mudpupply for the info on the
Necky 14’ SOT. It looks promising. My old Heritage Sea Dart is on its last wave. She’s been fun but after years of having been a vendor’s rental, then part of our fleet, it’s nearly time to retire her.

My longest boat is a Chatham 16 but there’s always a spot or need for an SOT.

TR are still somewhat active
The Tsunami Rangers are still some what active. Eric Soares has had open heart surgery, so has had to quiet down, but he led a rock garden trip at last year’s Golden Gate Sea Kayak Symposium. Jim Kakuk still seems to be out there. John Lull and Deb Volturno are still active kayak instructors. Michael Powers is still out there, hosting the annual Reef Madness race.

You can read some info at http://tsunamirangers.com - a blog which Eric Soares manages.

Epic V8
You should look at the Epic V8 “surfski”. They took the 18X Sport hull and put a surfski deck on it. So you get your 18’ length and 22"+ width. The weight is 29-40 lbs depending on which layup you get.

http://www.epickayaks.com/products/surfskikayaks/v8

Great thread!
I started paddling SOTs because of the shorter learning curve. I was safe going out without learning to roll or self rescue. Since those days I’ve learned to roll, and learned to self rescue a SINK, but still perfer SOTs.

Now I’m in what I call “Performance SOTs” I have a Tsunami (Ranger) X-15 Scram Jet, 14’ 6" x 23". I recently sold a Heritage Shearwater 18’ x 24". My go- to boat is the Epic V10S surfski 20" x 19". My next boat will probably be an Epic V-8, mentioned above, so I have a performnce SOT that will handle really big conditions in the ocean.

I spent two hours in the Ocean Sunday, in my V10S, in conditions that were challenging, near the upper edge of my comfort zone. I swam 3 times. In each case I remounted, and kept paddling. With SINKs swiming and a reentry are the exception, and can cut short a good paddle. With SOTs (Surfskis), it’s part of the plan.

A lot of SINK paddlers know how to roll. But how many SINK paddlers can nail their roll reliably, in rough conditions, when they need it?

Frankly there are few “Performance SOTs” in between entry level rotomoulded kayaks, and surf skis. I wish there were more.

maybe
easy on and off the water

cheaper to buy

something to hang around a boat dock for quick errands like getting to the slip and back

higher initial stability and thus more palatable mode of transportation who don’t like to rock the boat and who go out only when it is absolutely placid

easier to hop onto with shorts and float down a river with buddies

fun for those who in hotter climates who the cooling effects of getting wet

My mission is to find a nice SOT
which isn’t a barge - OK had a scupper pro which may not have been too bad according to opinions but it has been discontinued a 2nd time now. There isn’t anything around this Pittsburgh area to try and i cannot afford to buy a high priced SOT with 2 in college then grad school! I will probably need to travel to a paddlefest somewhere in order to find some decent ones for a rounded decision if that is even an option. (not CA though - too far) Some brands don’t even have dealers and if a dealer is within reason, they dont stock them due to sales. Cobra for example.

narrow, but tippy?
To keep the “self bailing” part of a SOT, the tops of the scuppers have to be above the waterline. It has a double whammy impact:

1. You can’t draft too deep otherwise you constantly have standing water in the boat. So capacity is limited.

2. The paddler sits in a higher seeting position than campared to a sit-inside. Center of gravity up, stability goes down.

There are some battery powered scuppers than can help address this. They are constantly pumping water out of the boat. Also, there are some “new patent pending” scuppers that help drain out water as your moving. These are not new technology…it’s a venturi effect.

Anyway, a narrow boat will not have high capacity without it being a wet ride. Some argue that if you’re in a kayak, plan on being wet. But the extra weight and sloshing around of water can be distracting.

skis
Ski seats are already as low as the hull shape allows. Nelo differs a bit. Their seat is about 1" higher than the others. I have a 1" thick pad in my Fenn Millennium. With practice, coming out of the boat is extremely rare. Heck, if you have to brace from time to time (aside from when broached in breaking surf or dropping you paddle into a light restful low brace when riding a runner downwind) you should be paddling/racing a more stable boat.

Why pick that beach?

Those Kayaks look nice!
Do they still make those Tsunami (Ranger) X-15 Scram Jet kayaks? I’m also interested in performance SOTs, but as you said, there’s not many options out there.