Tsunami 120,125,140 or Delta 12.10

actually
that is a shot by Dan Gavere out on the OR coast. I love this shot and anyone who says the tsunami (whatever size) isn’t a seaworthy boat is full of it…

steve

Lessons before Lake Powell
I won’t try to answer your initial question about selecting among the WS Tsunami series or Delta as I’m smaller than you and your wife and couldn’t make a good comparison. Ideally, you should try before you buy – but not just so you can compare different boats. It’s unclear to me from your post how much kayaking you’ve done. You said, “I guess I need to rent a kayak for a few days of paddling before purchasing.” I also highly recommend lessons, as another poster suggested, so you can paddle efficiently and protect your back. But, in particular, you should learn how to get back in the boat after a capsize, especially before taking on Lake Powell. As you mentioned, the weather can change quickly and waves rise quickly on Powell. I have kayaked there – and we ran into just the kind of quick weather change you mentioned. You will not only be dealing with wind blown waves but also boat wakes and rebounding waves off the cliffs. It is important to know how to prevent a capsize and, if one does occur, how to do self- and assisted rescue. Kayaking is a great sport, especially for people who love the outdoors and want to stay active as certain body parts object. (I’m also mid-50s and have the achy joints to prove it.) Just be sure to go into it with the proper preparation. Be safe and have fun.

1 Like

Tsunami 120 and 125
My wife owns the Tsunami 120 and I own the 125. I am able to fit in and paddle the 120, but preferred the 125.

There is virtually no difference between these boats other than a minimal length difference and deck height. They perform identically. Anyone that says they perform differently have not paddled both, which is usually the case since usually people can’t fit in both.

I absolutely love my 125. I find every chance I can to get in it. Such a comfortable paddle. Very fast, easy to turn in. Best boat I have paddled by far. I mainly paddle lakes and rivers. Slow moving - moderate moving rivers.

Thanks for the Info/Advise.
Cool!

That is good news especially considering Tsunamis are $500.00 less expensive than the Delta 12.10 and available for demo.Much rather support a local business. Local dive shop has a 125 for rent which I have reserved for next weekend to try out.Will stay close to shore for now.Good advice about taking lessons.Kayak Lake Mead has beginner lessons for $140 for a full day. Lesson includes basic paddling strokes ,wet-exit,T-rescue,self-rescue.Basic safety consideration and knowing your limits.I think they use Eddie Line 14-16 foot boats for the lessons.

Cool
I think once you try out the tsunami, you will love it. I picked it over the Dagger Axis and a Current Designs boat (i forget the model). However, I will say that I didn’t try out the other boats on your list, so I cant compare to those.

The Tsunami just felt right for both me and my wife.

great on the EDU!!!
lessons are the way to learning paddling correctly. remember practice does NOT make perfect. It makes permanent. Practice correct technique to learn right!

steve

newbie with Delta 12.10
As a 60+ year old, 200 lb. total newbie to kayaking I can appreciate the difficulty in choosing a kayak, (especially if under $1,000), but the Delta 12.10 at about $400 more, seemed to me to stand alone as a near perfect blend of specs and features -and it looks great as well! The cockpit is large enough for me to tumble into with an element of grace and yet snug enough (with the optional ’fit-kit‘) to respond to even my feeble attempts with body control. On my first outing, I was able to keep respectable pace with a younger, fitter guy paddling a longer (poly) kayak; the glossy, more rigid thermoform construction may have given me some advantage. On my fourth trip (ever, in a kayak) I felt quite comfortable paddling mid-lake in choppy water with gusty winds -now I can’t wait to learn some skills then hit the real surf! The hard chine design seems to encourage play and challenge skills at the same time. I like the Delta 12.10 more every time I use it (or even look at it!). I also like being able to lift it virtually on one hand to load on top of the car. So far I am absolutely delighted with this kayak.

at over 200 pounds
I am still over 220 and I’d recommend you check out the Tsunami 135 and the 145. Both great boats for heavier folks. Both very fast for their length and very comfortable. Both just a tiny bit more weight than the shorter versions.

Frank

paddlingand sailing.blogspot.com

not quite right
maybe you mean the 125; the 135 is a small/medium paddler’s boat, with a lower deck and considerably less volume than the rest of the Tsunami line.

1 Like

Nope I mean the 135
The 135 is a much smaller boat than the 145. It is a snug fit but I think it makes a great rough water boat and a good boat for twisty rivers. The 145 is so big you can wiggle your legs all around almost like a sit on top.