Tsunami SP

Not bad
The entire deck is lower than most kayaks for this size paddler, so it generally fits a very small paddler how it ought to. You may not choose it for greenland rolling competition, but the rear deck is plenty low enough for learning to roll.

You will want to replace the Raven’s rigid seat back with a backband, but that’s an easy fix.

foot braces can be fixed
I wouldn’t worry so much about the leg length problem. Find a boat that fits her needs and the rest of her body. If you need to move the foot-rails back in the boat, that’s a 5 minute job. Plug the old holes with matching machine screws, and it won’t even look like anything was changed.

Or bulkhead blocks

– Last Updated: Mar-06-14 9:11 AM EST –

More comfortable for the paddler anyway, no need to make new holes in the boat. It is a good solution for shortening the reach for an inseam less than factory specs. And they displace water in case of a capsize.

I suspect the tricky aspect of the inseam issue will be whether she the boat gives her thigh braces or kneecap braces. Some are movable, and with enough work you can create new ones with minicell if they don't go back far enough. But it is always easier if they hit right to start with.

Against Foam Bulkhead…
Yes, this was my first thought, but I’m not sure how sound of an idea it would be if placed against a foam bulkhead…

Thanks…

Bill

Mmm, yeah
But while pricier a composite boat (with better bulkheads) might also be lighter than a plastic boat… if that argument works to increase the buyer’s willingness to part with money.

Heck, it’s worth a try. This is going to be a challenging boat fit no matter what you do.

Challenging Indeed…!
I honestly think SOF is the way to go except for the camping bit and lack of a building space at the moment…

Easy and inexpensive to build, light weight and most important of all, a custom fit. But the thought of paddling a SOF can be a bit intimidating to a newbie… : )

Piccolo
Might not help with the bulkhead floatation/storage and Wilderness Systems hasn’t made them in awhile but you might be able to scare one up.

Just more fuel for the brainstorming.

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Piccolo

– Last Updated: Mar-06-14 2:39 PM EST –

A rare as hen's teeth these days though, and seems that those that have one are intent on holding onto them...

Greenback lure
Hey 'ya never know.

Post onto some NE boards that you’ve got some greenbacks looking to take the place of a Piccolo that’s been frozen in place since November and you might get some takers. Heck, at the current temps here and north you might even be able to tempt them to deliver it to you for the warmer climes.

See you on the water (ice at the moment),

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

hudsonriverpaddler.org

Capella 160
Recluse,

You may not be too far from me, geography wise. I have a P&H Capella 160 RM which is a great sea kayak made for the smaller person. We bought it for my wife but then she developed a medical condition that kept (and still keeps) her off the water. It probably got used 5 times before we got the diagnosis. Since I’m too large for it it’s taking up space in my shed. If you’re in the NoVA area and want to take a look, let me know. I’d let it go for half MSRP.

Same problem
Piccolo is a good, low-volume kayak, but it’s probably not great for 125 to 130 lbs paddler weight. It’s intended for kids.

Thanks…
Fred, I’m in central NC…

Nice boat but I suspect that might be too deep of a boat for her small frame. Anyone know the height to the underside of the cockpit as well as back deck? And the shortest reach on the foot pegs?

Other really short paddlers with experience with this boat…?

Deck height
I haven’t measured, but it’s pretty low. We’ll all hope she doesn’t see this lest I disappear mysteriously, but my wife is basically your friend’s height but a (teensy, weensy, tiny) bit heavier.

I don’t know if the specs you’ll find for the Venture Capella would be the same. I think that boat got a little bigger when they moved it to the Venture line. I could be wrong here.

I used one for roughly a week
Nice-handling boat that I got to use in a range of conditions from glassy to surf and tidally influenced rivers with boils, standing waves, eddies. I could edge, turn, roll, etc. but I’m about 5’3". It was still a bigger cockpit than I like; felt like I was rattling around in it and edging was not real secure-feeling. But it CAN be padded out and made snugger.

She should demo it before deciding, as her shorter height might not be a great match.

Capella measurements
since I just bought Mr. Randall’s 160RM :slight_smile: I can give you measurements. The under-deck height is 12" up front and 8.5" behind the seat. add 1.5" for measurement to the top edge of the coaming.

The Tsunami 135 is about 11" up front and 9" behind the seat; the coaming only comes up about an inch from that. (The 14.5" deck height measurement on WS’s webpage seems way off)

I am an “extra-medium” sized guy and fit nicely in the Capella, but the Tsunami 135 feels too small for me; a small to medium sized person would find it comfortable.

Thigh braces are weird
Too low and splayed out

Correction
The kayak I paddled for a week was a glass Capella 161, not the 160 RM.

I have, however, paddled a 160 one time also. That deck’s rear deck felt too tall. Possibly you could raise the seat.

This is exactly what she needs

– Last Updated: Mar-14-14 4:01 AM EST –

The 14' Tchaika Pro is a great kayak for women and smaller paddlers. Here is one for sale for a great price.

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/4363802465.html

Too heavy
If your Tsunami SP sat too low in the water with your 110 pound girlfriend in it, both of your hatches must have been full of water, or your girlfriend is WAY over 110 pounds!

I weigh close to 130 with my wetsuit, boots, and flotation vest, and carry another 20 pounds of gear in my hatches without any noticeable affect on how low my SP sits in the water. The boats capacity is rated at 180 pounds.

I understand that women can be especially sensitive about their weight, so rather than confront her on this, assuming your hatches are not full of water, it might be best to take her to a paddle fest where she can try out various kayaks without having to disclose her weight. I would suggest the Tsunami 135 for someone that is on the small side, but over the weight limit of the SP.