Tsunami v. Tempest

ya think?
you still ‘need’ one…man they are the sheet fer your size!

I’m ordering my ‘new’ improved 180- next week!

hope all is well!

steve

I have a 180
that I bought under similar conditions, and partly because of Steve’s input. I’m 6’-3" and weigh 265 but women half my size have used it, rolled it and felt comfortable in it. If it’s a good buy and you like the color, (mine’s yellow)I’d snap it up.

Didn’t we hear that in 2005? nm

Wilderness Systems - Quality Issues…
WS has a reputation for having some serious quality control issues… Just a heads up…

REI pushes them, and they are mostly made in China…

You get what you pay for, please be careful.

The dealer may get issues resolved over a period of time, but why should you have to deal with that at all… You buy a boat to use, not wait for it to be fixed as it should have been in the first place.

Family owns several Wildy’s
Nary a problem. More fiction than fact from those who don’t own them I’d guess.

Based on experience…
A shop I used to work for used to sell them… they dropped the line based on quality issues about 3 years ago.

I was referring to the composites, but we sold the plastics too… We had more issues with them than the Current Designs, Necky and Prijon boats.

the Tempest 180 is perfect for your size
and weight

selling off a dud
the Tempest is hardly a dud

Of course Owners like them…

– Last Updated: Aug-13-09 10:15 AM EST –

Of course Tempest owners like Tempests... that's why they bought them. And/or, who wants to admit they paid over $1000 for a boat they don't like?

It's all the people who paddled them and DIDN'T buy them that have relavant opinions here. (Yo usay you know 1, I know more than that...)

If you ask a crack addict if he likes crack, he'll say "sure". That doesn't mean crack is good.

(interesting analogy... ;-)

Same could be said for ALL brands
You have your biases, too, for obvious reasons.

Axe to grind?

– Last Updated: Aug-19-09 3:18 PM EST –

You clearly have an issue with Wildy. I do not doubt that you saw problems with composite Wildy boats in the past. You state that was three years ago. The question is how are their composite boats today?

In August 2006 Wildy switched from their proprietary and leaky hatch system to KS lids on composite models. As a previous Tempest Pro owner (2004 model year) I saw that move as a major improvement. There were reports of poor quality composite lay-ups coming out of Wildy's operation in Easley, SC (2007-08). If I understand correctly this is one reason Wildy moved their composite operation to China. I am sure the major issue was production costs, and possibly our more stringent environmental regulations.

As casualty of a large business's drive to globalize I am saddened to see Confluence move their composite operation overseas. In short, they are following what most U.S manufacturers have already done. (BTW, it is not my intent to start a debate on "Would you by X if it is made in China.)

To restate, do the 2009 Tempest Pro boats exhibit higher QC than their predecessor? Personally, I do not know. Do you?

Any feedback from owners of 2009 Tempest Pros?

china tempest pro
I checked out a demo t-165 pro that was a china build. there were no consruction flaws on this one. there was damage from being a demo boat only. It seemed fine as compared to other top brands I have seen. it was an 09 with ks hatches. I am also waiting to see more feedback on these boats.

Read my post…
I said we stopped selling them… therefore I cannot answer your questions about their quality today.

We’ve had no demand for them. People seem to equate them with big box stores and REI.

We did, but now they finally do (n/m)

quality
no one is asking you about the quality. I and others i think are asking for quality reports from 2009 tempest pro owners.