Tulik / cold water immersion protection

It’s the PFD
If you’re having trouble switching sides while capsized, the PFD is more likely to be the obstacle, not the tuiliq.

PFD = big, fat protrusion from the torso. On short people like me, it reduces the range of motion while bending forward at the waist.

I found that the kid’s PFD doesn’t hinder me. Too bad it’s only rated to 90 lbs (still floats me), but the problem is that it’s too small to fit over the bulk of a drysuit. Works great with wetsuits.

Unless the tuilik is breathable
I think you will be much more comfortable for general paddling with a modern dry-top/dry pants combo. When temps warm-up, just the dry top may be enough if close to shore and some company near by (as many WW kayakers do where I paddle). I can’t imagine having neoprene over 100% of my body all the time being comfy when things begin to warm-up… The only time I would go for a dry suit/full neo suit would be in open water paddling, where the possibility for a long swim is real. I have both a dry top/dry pants combo and a full dry suit now and I still prefer to use the top/pants if I am close to shore (e.g., doing WW or surfing). I guess the tuilik is the same kind of convenience item as the dry top and if it is breathable, it would be a good thing to have in the warmer weather too…

Skip it
If you’re going to pay that much for a tuilik and not have anything under it, you’d be better off skipping the tuilik and buying something else. You’ll never regret owning a drysuit.

Just remember of all the drownings in cold water:

43% were less than 7 feet from safety*

66% were less than 50 feet from safety*

*shore, boat, dock, etc.

When paddling this time of year i
wear my drysuit with polar fleece long underwear and if i am going to do some rolling i will paddle 1st and will actually get a little to warm but then do my rolls just so i can back to the launch before getting cold. Now if there is a cold wind, then that is different. I was still rolling last week in our local lake here in northern NH. I was surprised how NOT to cold it felt. (except when i forgot my noseplug and the cold water rushed up my sinuses) Soon the lake will be icing over. But it’s not bad as you think. I think it would be to hot to paddle in a tuliq and a drysuit personally.

Wind block
A plastic garbage bag over the dry suit will keep you warmer too. One day it was raining and I wore my land based rain jacket over my drysuit with the hood and It kept the wind and water evaporation off the drysuit and I was toasty warm.

Paddlers don’t buy the Greenland style neo tulik as an accessory item to use over regular paddling gear. The buy it to roll with and since they have it, they might often use it as an auxiliary item.

If you roll in icy water with a dry suit, you can definitely feel that cold water through the suit unless you have so much under it that you would over heat when paddling.