UNDER HOOD TIE DOWN QUESTION

I don’t have that problem
But I thought I would, it seems a logical thing to expect.

I use polyethelene line. 3/8 or 5/16. I even leave them out so often I’ve had to replace the line because of UV damage.

It may have something to do with the angle. My tie point is directly under the crack.

It’s also not my only means of carrying a boat so maybe it’s just a matter of total miles under load.

don’t over tighten
the bow and stern lines. they are there to keep your kayak or canoe from hitting the pavement if, for whatever reason, your rack or rack straps fail. They should be tight enough that they have no slack, only.

I use this system
I’ve used this system for years in my Kis Sofia and my Kia Sorrento and have never had any problem.

But I also use two side straps to hold my boat to the roof rack.

THANKS, AGAIN, ALL
Good suggestions on the underhood strap exit wear points and ways to avoid marring the hood, friends, much appreciated.

And once again, no, we assuredly do not use ONLY bow and stern lines to hold the boats…!

We double loop each kayak to each of our crossbars with cam straps, attaching them securely in their cradles. We then use bow and stern tie-downs to stabilize the boats. We even use red flags on the stern to better alert people (and, occasionally yours truly, LOL) just how far they extend beyond the car.

We are more than satisfied with this almost universal, tried and true way to securely carry our kayaks many miles to and from wherever we

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami