"Upgrading" Kayaks

kayak vs canoe paddles
I agree there is an obvious drawback to a double paddle in tight mangrove swamps (catching it on overhead vegetation). But on the other hand, using one at a high angle means the bow paddler knocks a lot of the spiders out of the path ahead of the paddlers. :slight_smile:

There is no drawback to a double
bladed paddle in little narrow mangrove tunnels.

You guys just don’t challenge yourselves enough.

Over the past twenty years I have made it a contest to never take my paddle apart in them, and I’ll take on any one in a challenge. (my boat is 18 feet long and 21" wide.

The real challenge is when you come to a dead end in a two foot wide one, and turn yourself around in the yak, (without tipping over) and then facing the stern paddle back out.

Jack L

NANCI TAUGHT’M THAT ONE!
But it’s true -the rest of us will break our paddles down, but Jack finds a way to keep his in one piece… …even if it’s KILLING him, LOL!

Me? I break mine down less than I used to, but still do from time to time. Now in really tight tunnels, the trick is to pull yourself along with your hands after you stick your paddle in the cockpit or lash it on deck. And, I back out backwards, too damn big & uncoordinated to flip around like Jack & Nanci…

All part of the mangrove paddling process as you, with various technique, get thru and

PADDLE ON!

Frank in Miami