Upswept Bows

Slapping vs. Slowing
Slapping with fuller volume vs. Slowing with fine ends. Those are the two extremes. Most designs are closer to the middle and more similar than different. Brits slightly to the right, QCCs slightly to the left.

Thanks All
I’m happy with my Night Hawk even though it slaps the waves, but it’s interesting to know why.

Lou

the plumb ends!
The plumb ends are what make the boat so appealing to the eye. Those up-swept bows look down right silly, like elves shoes without the stupid bells at the tips. Every time I see one of those kayaks, I wince. How ugly!

The shortest distance is a …

– Last Updated: Jul-21-04 6:09 PM EST –

straight line. So going through the wave would be faster than going over it. With the waves going over my deck means less energy to dissipate with the hull, and the waves increase my waterline. Ya think??
... Caribou Rick

If…
… you ignore water density, displacement, etc.

However…

When we last paddled, I saw your boat (and the NDKs and Impexes) doing quite a bit more up and down rocking horse motion than mine. How is all that cork bobbing (from having less LWL) getting you on a straigher/shorter line?

???
That was flat water… Wait till the Bacall…

2005 Bacall will be flat too
That’s my official long range forecast.

Besides, in your ‘bou, you’d better be doing the Bogey next year!

The big question is: What will Frank be paddling? He needs to up his Isthmus training. Iceman will be on his Mako, Hex will be in his EFT - that leaves Frank free and clear in under 18’ SOT if he can just “Paddle on!” instead of off!

Yeah, it was VERY flat that morning, but over the few wakes we crossed, the more Brit the hull, to more it bobbed. Maybe you didn’t notice beacuse you were bobbing with them! Maybe everyone feels steady and only sees the OTHER kayaks bobbing?

volume and hull section
Bow volume and cross section have more to do with how the boat handles seas than the sweep of the bow.

As already noted very similar appearing boats may handle waves etc… quite differently.

Boats that have as similar appearance as an NDK Explorer and a Valley Aquanaut handle the same seas differently.

The most well designed sea kayaks can handle most rational seas. It is often a matter of how the paddler feels with the manner with which the boats deals with various conditions that makes the greatest difference.

and no one has made any
referance to paddling any of these designs with 20-30 #'s of gear up there .

loaded
I paddled my Aquanaut pretty fully loaded for camping – 10 litres of water, tent, Thermarest pad, extra gear and clothing and some food and juices, etc…

Of that, well over 20lbs of it was in the bow compartment.

The boat was fine. It is an expedition boat and was quite at ease laden. This was also true of my wife’s Explorer LV.

The Explorer still rode over most all swell and chop, the Aquanaut continued to cut through small swell and chop, riding over the larger.

Both were, if anything, more confident handling seas.