Used Penobscot 16

No Way
If it were 5 or 6 years old, I’d say yes. But 13 years old!? No way. Not for a royalex. Royalex, and other plastic boats, are nicknamed “throw aways”. Mainly it’s because they are hard to fix, but also because the material won’t last forever. It breaks down with time. A 13-year-old royalex boat is old indeed, no matter how well it was taken care of.

Gee, I guess $450 was way too much for
the Wenonah Solo Plus that I bought last year from an outfitter in Madison, WI. It already had a bow skid plate, but white is still showing through on the stern.

According to you, I shouldn’t have paid over $200 for it. I thought I got a great deal. They had rewebbed all three seats, it has sever surface dents and creases, but it still handles well and I expect it to last several years and it saved me $600 over the price of a new Solo Plus.

You folks who have a plentitude of quality used boats around are pretty harsh.

The cheapest I’ve ever seen a Penobscot 16 advertised was $400 and I would have snatched it up if it hadn’t been 800 miles away.

Shoot me an email the next time you see a $200 Penobscot 16, please.

Value
The only canoes I have bought for $300 or less have needed repairs.

Few people part with beat-up aluminum canoes for less than three hundred. Watch ebay, they happen once in a while.

If, the Penobscot had major damage and you were good with repairs, then, I would nickle-dime the deal.

Royalex (OT Penobscot) is repairable, Polyethylene (OT Guide) is not.

If $300 is too much you will need to lower your expectations or be very patient.

Used canoe value?
Hello all,

I agree that some of the post a very harsh on used boats. The first canoe I bought was 3 years ago. A 1980’s vintage 16’ Blue Hole. It was stored outside in the sun, never seen a drop of 303, used by the owner for WW in Wisc. and MN. Paint was faded, thigh straps/knee pads needed reglued, and has a 2" gash (not all the way thru) in the bottom. The owner was a customer in his late seventies (years old), no joke! I said how much, he said $100, I said sold! Love the boat. Always floats, near bullet-proof, hauls tons of gear. Will last me a lifetime with very little care. I have since bought a cheap bargain basement platic boat ($350 new). and made other canoes. I love my homemade solo boats but for family outtings out comes the Blue Hole. The Plastic boat is gone.

I guess what I’m trying to say, I think that any boat that floats and gets a family out on the water is worth $300. Even the plastic cheapies. I’ve never paddled the Penobscot 16 but everyone here seems to agree that it is a fine recreational canoe. I’ll bet that a used/slightly abused Rolalex canoe is 3 times the boat the cheap heavy plastic ones that sell for $350 to $400 are.

That said, Is $300 for this boat really a bad deal? If it gets you on the water and it and doesn’t cost a house payment, No, it’s not a bad deal. Anyway, used boats have character and you won’t look like a greenhorn on the water. Don’t dicker over $50, you’'ll pay more than that for a life jacket.

Enjoy,

Chris

used boat
What is wrong with the camper models.I came in late to your posts,but, If the camper’s are in a lot better condition, maybe buy one of them. It is a popular model for family recreation. They are royalex.The Pennobscot models are built to be much more efficient, but are also ,much more tippy, make the wrong move and they will spit you and your gear out in a split second. Not a lot of room for error. Then again,I came in late,not knowing Your uses,flat water versus running. Any boat that floats and gets you out, Quickly pays for it self over time.

my thoughts exactly
the Penob is a better design, but 13 years of reantal I’d be weary. I’d not go over $200 to maybe $250 unless its in fantastic shape. a little 303 should brighten it up if appearances matter. How old are the campers and what is thier condition. The first canoe I even owned myself was a camper. Not a great boat if you want to race but it did everything I wanted it to, from white water, to duck hunting, to the St. John river for a week of camping. I sold it to a friend when I went into the Navy, and he promptly had it stolen from him.

16’ or 17’ ???
Ok still thinking about the used Penob 16. But met someone else that I may be able to get a new one @ cost. So now which to go for in length. 16 foot or 17 footer?

Thanks

BG

I would take the 16
Unless you are a real big guy

Cheers,

jackL