UV damage thru glass ?

re coloured glass
medium blues are fine, greens/ but would move the boat or shade the window,the carbon fiber will weaken,some resins are reactive to temperature,softening the outer layers,

Around here
Cantankerousness runs rampant. Uncivil behavior is par for the course. As we go into actual winter it gets worse - the curmudgeons get REALLY cranky. Any bets I take crap for writing this? ;^) RK

Arkay’s right
I AM cranky these days. Leaf management has really cut into my paddling time. Apologies to all. Need practice biting my tongue.

Actually…

– Last Updated: Nov-09-07 8:01 AM EST –

...I was talking about the 2 cranky posts by others that preceeded yours... RK

If you bite your tongue too hard you'll wear a hole in it! :^)

Yes…
I have seen a lot of sun damage on furniture through glass. Why not canoes??

Wotever !

Go back to the original post. The guy
said the boat was indoors, vulnerable only from a window, and we can infer that was only for a few hours at most.

I have seen upholstery and wood change color, but I have not seen upholstery break down.

The time to protect vulnerable boat materials is when they are sitting on car racks for days and days. Even there, I haven’t seen evidence of a problem.

Accept what g2d states
He knows what he is talking about.

UV will eventually cause the material to degrade as it causes de-polymerisation of many synthetic compounds. It takes a lot more radiation than the canoe would get stored as described.

If you are that worried better not leave your car outside either.

my post about the colored 303
was a joke, but thanks anyway for weighing in on colors.

to clarify
Canoe receives only indirect light but there are 3 windows in the room & as long as it’s daylight outside I can see fine in room w/o supplemental artificial lights.

Direct sunlight never falls on canoe while stored indoors

Outside of hull is 303’ed (asked in another post if inside of hull should also be treated ? but no answer as yet. Seems that perhaps it should be as inside lacks clear coat finish of outside & is subjected to lotsa sun while paddling)

I’ve seen the damage UV can cause to Kevlar. My Jensen 18, stored indoors for yrs, was left outside @ a friend’s for few days in what passes for sunlight here in far northern NY. It was after the Clinton & canoe still had race # affixed. It suffered a permanent negative image tattooing of the race # onto the hull. Ouch !

Thanx again for the feedback.

BTW Since post have covered hull while in storage