V10

no options
the v10 comes as is, with no options. fiberglass boats are white, carbon boats are black. no hatches, no reinforcement for thigh straps. bungees for a water bag in front and for whatever in back. adjustable footwells, so one size fits all.

you really don’t need thigh straps on a ski unless you can’t live without being able to roll. especially in the deep bucket skis, you have excellent lateral control of the boat with your butt. it’s just a totally different paddling philosophy than a sea kayak- much more dynamic, with your body and the paddle constantly making small corrections to keep you upright and moving forward as fast as possible. I’m pretty used to it now, but when I first started I was amazed how tired my abdominals and trunk muscles were at the end of paddling. A much more complete body workout, and one that demands (and rewards) concentration and serious focus on what you are doing.

High end skis are not the boats to get if you want a high performance open touring boat.

Andrew

well
I use my Straps on my T-160 all the time, seems like they would be even more useful on a ski… anyway, looks like the Futura is the only available option…

Two different monsters
It is like a pilot that has only flown a single engine cessna and wants to fly a F-22 raptor the same way…

…in order to fly the raptor he/she will need to develop skills that are no require to fly a cessna.

Hmm
having Flown a cesna 182 in real life and an F-22 in the simulator. I can say that the 182 seemed to be harder to fly. The F-22 has POWERD EVERYTHING!! and a DFCC that keeps you from doing stupid stuff!! L

then you’ll be just fine in the ski…

Straps
Straps would be more in the way on the ski than anything for most people. Different animal as Ice says. Very different animal. I don’t thinks straps would help me stay in or upright - and would certainly impede paddling and getting back on.

If you use straps “all the time” on a T160 - I REALLY want to see you try paddling a racing ski! :wink:

Hmm
It just seems to me that the straps make you become part of the boat rather then just sitting on it. and they take just seconds to slide around the thighs… I never noticed tell now that Skis don’t have them… I remember paddeling an old futura with out them and it was fine, how ever My t-160 feels and responds MUCH better when i am strapped on… Kind of like peddling a bike with Clip less peddles Vs Reg peddles!!

V10 Demo at US Surfski Championships
Ocean Paddlesports will be giving free demos of their boats which I believe includes the new V10 on Friday, Sept 16 from 3-6 pm in Sausalito, CA, Sea Trek/Schoonmaker Beach. This is in conjunction with the US Surfski Championships Sept 17-18. This race is going to have some of the world’s best paddlers, including Greg Barton. Come on out and race or be a spectator. One of our other premier sponsors is Huki Outrigger Canoe and Surfskis, maker of the S1-X, S1-A and the new S1-R. Check out the events calender of Paddling.net for more info or the web site: www.ussurfskichampionship.com. You can also confirm with Ocean Paddle Sports whether they will demo the V10.