Vacuum Bagging vs. Hand Lay up

I’ve worked with Dynel somewhat…
…including on the boat I’m repairing currently, and have found that it will fuzz if sanded, but much less so than Kevlar or Diolene. This appears to be due primarily to its finer weave. When shaping it, I prefer to use scrapers, as they eliminate fuzzing entirely.

Walbridge describes Diolene as…
…being similar to Nylon and CAP.

VCP’s are prone to spider cracks, too
My old Nordkapp was covered with them and the Pintail has a few, too. I haven’t noticed any on my Anas Acuta, but it has the thinnest gelcoat of any of the VCP boats I’ve owned, at least on the hull.

True enough…
…but none of them are available with ocean cockpits, which rules them out for me.

Sounds as if
my wife’s Explorer LV in Elite layup (which has much thinner gel coat than my Valley boat)will survive use with less tendency to crack or spider than my boat.

So, I guess in that specific her NDK boat has a quality edge on my VCP one.

Hooked scrapers are cool. I use them
for the last stages of removing the vinyl layer from ABS before epoxy-ing cloth layers for a graunch pad.

just to confuse things
the dynel I’ve ordered from JR.Sweet is different from the dynel I got from Defender…either there’s different dynel or I got a wrong shipment,or someone is selling something called dynel and it’s not. The stuff from Defender was a larger weave and puffed up thicker than the JRSweet dynel.

The stuff I got from Sweet…
…looks for all the world like polyester T shirt material. Is the Defender stuff an open weave like the Diolene in VCP boats? It looks more or less like woven roving.