Valley Hatch Covers: A Solution

thanks
keep us posted and let us know how they work out for you…

nah, my boat lives outside
Albeit in the shade.

I was wondering if it has to do with frequency of use. My front hatch has held up better than the day hatch. But my boat gets use every week of the summer, and then every other week until the water’s solid.

Pool water can’t help either.

Thanks!
Great thread! I have just ordered both oval and round lids from the sailboatowners.com place that bnystrom found such good prices at. Very easy ordering process. I will report back on the how the oval hatches fit on my boats (rotomolded VCP Aquanaut and Impex Force 4 that has Valley lids).

Initial test results
I tried the new 8" round Sea-Dog hatch cover for the first time this weekend and here are the results:

Pro’s:

• Pops on easily - Just push down firmly in the center and it pops on with distinct snap, so you know it’s sealed. The semi-rigid Nylon center will “oil can” when you do this, but that just makes it easier to install the cover. If it concerns you, a firm push around the edges or a moderate whack with your fist will also seat the cover. A bit of 303 on the inside of the cover helps it pop into place easily.

• Unlike Valley hatches, it’s either fully on or off, no guessing or partial sealing.

• Comes off easily - Even at 40 degrees, it comes off without any major effort (important for us northerners). No more ripping your fingernails out by the roots when trying remove your Valley hatch covers!

• Seals perfectly on Valley hatch rims - I had no leakage at all.

Con’s:
  • The holes in the tether tab are rather small and won’t accept more than 3/32" cord, but that’s easily remedied by drilling them out if necessary, as there’s plenty of material there.

• Sea-Dog covers don’t float, so you must tether them.

The bottom line:

I can’t think of a single good reason to ever buy another Valley hatch cover. The Sea-Dog covers are easier to install and remove, seal well, do not stiffen significantly in cold weather and should be much more durable. On top of that, they’re around half the price of Valley covers. Game, set and match to Sea-Dog!

VCP hatch cover alternative:

– Last Updated: Jun-10-12 9:21 AM EST –

The poor quality, short lived factory covers remain my pet peeve re: the otherwise excellent design and build of Valley kayaks. I have been using the fine Sea Dog, (Sea-Lect), direct replacement covers for over a year and a half, now. Rutabaga can provide them and their service has been exceptional. I use my kayaks several times a week here in Florida year 'round. I do a lot of rolling and spend a great deal of time upside down. These covers may leak a tablespoon or two of water, but so too will the Valley's. They show no signs of wear or deterioration. The 18" covers have to be carefully aligned to ensure a good seal, but so too with the Valley's. I can see no reason, at this time, of ever going back to the Valley cover. If you feel you must use the originals, be sure you are getting fresh inventory, as they appear to deteriorate over time, whether from use or storage.

Doreen
You contacted me through the email link, but your email account bounced my replay.

Sea-Lect does sell just the cover. However they do not sell directly to consumers. You will have to make the purchase through a retailer.

My local paddling shop stocks them:

http://www.rutabaga.com/sea-lect-designs-round-hatch-cover-8-in

VCP useless covers
I concur with all the users who have posted cracking problems with Valley hatch covers. I have several boats that use these and while they did seal well, I have had all of them crack at some point… I got back to Florida after this summer away and found all 3 covers in my Nordkapp were completely split in half! They had been removed and left free inside the hatch compartment. I can’t trust these things… what if I were away on a 3 week trip and that’s when they decided to break? Jeez, even on a day trip, that would be a small disaster.

It’s not the first time that VCP have heard this, so isn’t it time that they cleaned up their act? At around $200 to replace the set, and also considering that the boat is nearly unusable without covers, I would consider them to be a "lifetime’ product… a bit like having the hood of your car disintegrate every year (!)

Ive gone to Sea-Lect and am totally happy. They also weigh about 2 pounds less for the lot.