Valley Nordkap vs. NDK Explorer

ha ha
we actually have snow cover for the first time in weeks and weeks. driveway is clear, but white yard and woods. must be at least 3-4".

hey, have fun at holyhead. maybe someday i’ll be lucky enough to get there. i’m hoping to get over to MA/RI in may.

easy to turn

– Last Updated: Mar-08-12 5:17 PM EST –

The Nordkapp that is stiffest is the M (aka HM - hull modified). Ms are more common on this side of the pond than in the UK. (Stan Chladek, the principal Valley importer for years, was particularly fond of them.) S (standard hull aka HS) Nordkapps tend to have enough rocker to turn fairly easily. The Jubilee S has the most stern rocker of full size 'kapps and the LV seems to have the most rocker of any Nordkapp model.

nice lineup
Thats a great picture comparing the boats Jim.

The HM is the boat that comes up most often for sale around here. Often quite cheap, but I’m never too tempted because of it’s reputation for being a real bear to turn, and even a tendency to lee cock.

I’d love to spend some time in an H20 though.

So many nuances of difference

– Last Updated: Mar-08-12 5:14 PM EST –

Yes, HMs are pretty common and often available because they are not fun boats (for most of us). I'd really like to try a Jubilee HS - Superficially much like an H2O but with more stern rocker and more pronounced bow. There was one for sale recently in the NE on p.net recently - I was tempted...

Good Nordkapp info here: http://www.ukseakayakguidebook.co.uk/nordkapp/art_nordkapp.htm

I've attached a photo of a pre-Jubilee HMC (hatches, modified hull, slalom cockpit)

you should check out Tiderace boats
The Tiderace Xplore series has more speed than the NDK Explorer boats and much better cockpit ergonomics. Better stability than the Nordkapps, and easier loading. It comes in 4 sizes. I’ve done multiple 30 mile days in mine and never been more comfortable in a kayak.

If you want something with more rocker that turns better, the Xcite series comes in 2 sizes.

Here in the PNW, I’ve seen a lot of Explorers replaced by Tideraces.

Aled Williams designs
Aled was the designer with whom Nigel worked to design the Romany. (The Explorer is the expedition version of that boat.) Aled is, of course, the designer responsible for the Tiderace boats. My brief experience paddling an Xcite is that it felt like a refined or well tuned Explorer. IMHO, if you like Explorers but would like something a bit more responsive, a Tiderace boat is well worth considering.

"i like lively in my water, not my boat"
Very well said and the very raison d’etre of the Explorer.

wetzool…
will be down ri/ct for weekends of may 5 and 12 playing in whatever bumps & moves and then back from HH for 26th getting ready for PI weekend (kayakwaveology site calendar)…gimme a call if your around…been years.

Unless you beat it into rocks
Speaking as someone who beats their boat into rocks regularly (NickJC knows)keep in mind that the lighter layup and less gelcoat also equals less able to take those blows.

Before those of you want to remind me that gelcoat is not structural I will point out, preemptively, that gelcoat increases abrasion protection. I also know that Tiderace keeps one of the local kayak repair businesses here in Washington busy.

Consider your application and your general usage habits of equipment before you charge ahead into a new boat.

I think??
That the Impex force cat 3/4 & 5 would fit in this category…It also may be an option???

Cat 4
To me the Cat 4 has a similar feel to the Aquanaut. Good speed, a little more responsive than the explorer. Probably the firmest tracking in that group. But generally in that same pack of boats.

Cat 3 is for smaller people.

Impex Force boats
The Force Cat 4 is the closest in feel to an Aquanaut of any non-Valley boat I’ve tried. It feels more lively in stability than an Explorer. The Force 4 is stiffer tracking (takes more edge to turn)than an Aquanaut (which takes more edge to turn than an Explorer).

I’ve found the Aquanaut to be the best mannered boat in bumpy seas (especially clapitos and rear quartering) of any boat I’ve paddled.

where would Fathom fit?
So, I hear folks saying Explorer (vs. Nordkapp)is more forgiving, more stable, requires less focus when things gets rough (maybe a bit “dead” for some). Not having tried many boats, but owning an Eddyline Fathom, I am wondering roughly where the Fathom fits?

thanks for input
I want to thank all of my fellow paddlers for their great insight and input when answering my question. It seems to me that you are an either or type of kayaker, Nordkapp or Explorer, not to many crossovers. I did appreciate the info about Tiderace, but would like to see their track record over time. With the type of paddling I do, I think the Explorer will be my kayak.

Nordkapp vs. Explorer
I may be a little late to the dance here but I think you will be very happy choosing the Explorer. I first owned a Nordkapp for awhile but once I purchased an Explorer, I never looked back or regretted my decision for the past 10 years. The Nordkapp is an excellent kayak and the newer iterations are much more user friendly and less twitchy without a full load. But the great thing about the Explorer is the confidence it inspires in the rough water. I rarely ever worry about the kayak in conditions, I can just concentrate on paddling. In short, it has made me a much better paddler. Best of luck on your decision.

Circumnavigator

Definitely late to the party
It sounds like the OP’s question has been answered and the boat will be the Explorer. Excellent choice!

Nonetheless, I thought I’d jump in with my thoughts. After 20 years of paddling mostly Valley and NDK boats and with 5 of those years working for Stan at Great River Outfitters in the 90’s, I’ve put a lot of miles under the hulls of both Explorers and Nordkapps.

They both have their quirks and their plusses, but both are excellent boats. I would gladly paddle either one of them on an expedition or a day paddle. Your paddling style will grow to fit whatever you happen to be sitting in and many, many premier paddlers have chosen Nordkapps and Explorers as their Go-To boats.

Due to family commitments and needs, I’m down to a one-boat stable at the moment. My single boat is currently a Nordkapp H20. I’m perfectly at home in it and can make it surf, cruise the rock gardens, burn a few calories on a fast 20 mile workout, or load it down and take off for a few weeks. It doesn’t do any of those things perfectly, but it does them all safely, serviceably, and enjoyably. The only boat that I’m more comfortable in is the Pintail, but that’s a much more play- and instructing-specific boat that doesn’t have the broad applications of the Nordkapp.

Now, throw a switch in my brain, nudge my personal preference toward the Explorer, and substitute that boat for the Nordkapp in the paragraph above. Everything still applies.

They’re both stellar boats that will let your skills and your experience grow unrestricted.

Have fun and paddle safe!

Tiderace boats
are definitely in the vein of NDK/SKUK, but also have some major differences. Especially in construction technology. Some of the stiffest, strongest, best looking boats you will find on the market. The hardcore layup with the biscuit tin connection between deck and hull is one of the best sea kayak layups I have ever seen. Is it the lightest, no, but it is very responsive and durable.

Xplore_M is a great new hull that is out. I am going to be picking mine up this spring. If you want to take it for a spin, or an Xcite, or Xplore, let me know.

She is fast.
The Nordcapp has a great racing history. Some boats built for speed with a WTF attitude toward the sea are faster but … so what?

The Explorer is a bread and butter boat, heavier than advertised but if you guide and teach it’s a great boat.

I am thinking about picking up a Greenlander pro as my slightly faster boat. I am aging… Gracefully.

NDK vs Nordcapp
I paddle an Explorer and have paddled a Nordcapp both new and the old … thing!

For speed the Nordcapp has it. If you have to spin and pick up a swimmer the Explorer is the lad.

Explorer will have you eating a sandwich when your friends are bracing. She is a big lass so if you have to lift a fat double full of water she can take the weight.

Not fast but fast enough and can spin, roll, deal with a gone to crap sea like no other boat I have paddled. If you have to keep up with tall athletic people ten years your junior perhaps the Nordcapp though I gravitate to the Greenlander Pro. (even with the stupid fin)

You will love either of these boats but the Nordcapp is less forgiving in a wind chop if you are a beginner.

Hope this helps

Alex McGruer