Valley Nordkapp -vs- Prijon Seayak

To follow wilsoj2 message…
I have a glass Nordkapp 18. This a GREAT boat meant to be loaded. I am only 5’8" and not much heavier that 165 and this boat is huge on me. (I was 35 pounds heavier when I bought it)I have paddled this boat on Florida’s narrow rivers and lagoon canals and it does good. You will feel the boat a bit tipsy specially if not evenly and heavily loaded. If you are about 200+ pounds, this boat would work well. I tested the Nordkapp in plastic and for some strange reason, it felt more stable and perhaps a little slower but I was still impressed with the plastic version! I also have a Romany. How I love my Romany. This for me is one of the most versatile boats ever made. Decent speed. Very maneuverable and enough space for week-end camping but specially great for a day play boat. If I could only have one boat, the Romany would be in my short list.

one of the most versatile boats ever…

– Last Updated: Apr-21-11 4:31 PM EST –

I have a Romany, an Aquanaut, a Nordkapp LV, and an Elaho DS (as well as 2 ww kayaks). I enjoy them all and regularly paddle the Nordlow, 'naut, and Romany.

I probably paddle the Romany more than the others combined. Sometimes I feel that anyone who wants to play and develop skills in a sea kayak should have a Romany. It is our guest boat, and everyone enjoys it no matter how unskilled or inexperienced they may be. I know it is a nearly 20 year old design, but it is such a fun and confidence inspiring boat, that if I were a coach I would have a few Romanys for teaching. (Of course that is exactly the purpose for which Nigel and Aled designed it.)

lots of fine boats

– Last Updated: Apr-21-11 4:43 PM EST –

OPer seemed to be interested in PLASTIC boats.

Romany Surf RM is, of course, plastic,
Aquanaut RM is also plastic, a little different from composite version

Avocet
If he’s looking at plastic and he’s looking at Valley, then an AvocetRM might work. Very fun and very playful and popular.

on the big end
The OP is probably on the big end for an Avocet (at 195#), especially if overnights are planned. Worth a try though.

interested in PLASTIC boats
True he noted plastic. I don’t recall if that is because of cost or some other reason. If it is cost, one can often pick up a used composite boat for the price of a new plastic. If his note of plastic is for durability/ruggedness, composite boats are tougher than people usually think.

For plastic, a poly Tempest 165 might be a good all round boat to consider. The plastic Romany S has been plagued with problems. A Scorpio is a good beginners boah that a paddler won’t outgrow. And the Etain is to be available in plastic.

Thank you & Happy Easter
All of the replies have been very kind and helpful. There is a shop near where I live (Sacramento Ca). Your posts (current/future) will go to good use in my decision making process…Thanks, I hope you all have a great Easter

Lower Volume

– Last Updated: Apr-24-11 9:48 AM EST –

I agree with the suggestions that you try out some lower volume boats. I have a hunch that you might appreciate how a boat behaves more than how much it can hold. I really liked that 'Avocet' suggestion. Try before you buy.

And of course the Tempest 165 suggestion is also very good!

Valley Etain
took one out today. paddled a 3 knt pace, looked at the shore and I was doing at least 4 knts. great boat. only negative–the deck box i think could get knocked out in rouch conditions, especially if the bungees are loose. so dont’ put your wallet in there.