value of a canoe

I purchased a 1947 Grumman, square back, 17’ with a 3.5 hp Scott Atwater motor. Garage find in great shape. Canoe has what looks like a Teak wood frame on the bottom.

3 questions:

1. what is the best method to bring the aluminum back to life ?
  2. Where can I get the plastic trim
  3. what is the value so I can get insurance.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

value of your canoe`
I’m just underway trying to do the same thing. Mine is likely one of the 1st Grummans ever made because my great uncle was V.P. @ Grumman during WW2.

What’s your serial #? How are you sure it’s a 1947?

Grumman
Unless you got a really good deal the value is probably roughly what you paid for it.

As far as bringing aluminum back to life, I’m not quite sure what you mean. If it’s dirty any gentle cleanser will do, even dish soap or car wash.

If you are talking about oxidation, perhaps some Soft Scrub will work, or one of the cleaners meant for oxidized aluminum (google it, there are many).

Bring Aluminum back to life?
Not sure what you mean by bring Aluminum back to life but Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish will make the aluminum have a mirror finish shine for a little while you might need to wax it afterwards otherwise it will oxidize again. Mother’s can be found at most auto parts stores.

I’ve seen a couple aluminum canoes…
…shined “back to life”. Don’t do it. Better to keep it dull and subdued, and it will eventually lose it’s shine again anyway. It’s a lot of work for nothing, and if you get carried away it can make the boat look bad. In the best of cases, the shine is annoying.

serial number
I have the original title. Numbers awarded says 11 A 52

Year Keel laid 1947 and it was registered 0ctober 4th 1948.

I paid $225.00 for the boat and motor and I have to believe that it is worth a lot more than that.

Thank you for responding.