Vehicles...again!

Let me know…
if you find one. I think most of these will not deliver your price or MPG desires.

Neither will this Suzuki, but it does offer AWD, low price, and another choice.

It’s one I’d look at if I were looking.

T

http://www.suzukiauto.com/sr_07/sx4/specs_and_pricing.php

Vibe…

– Last Updated: Apr-24-07 10:32 PM EST –

I purchased a used ('04) Vibe about a month ago. Power everything, moonroof, upgraded sound system (Moon 'n Tunes package), cruise control, 16 alloy rims, brand new tires... It's an Auto; I really don't like automatic trannys on small engines, but the 4 speed automatic overdrive is reasonably impressive. Car is in good shape with about 60K miles; $9999 out the door. I was a little concerned about the mileage, but it's a Toyota drivetrain and the carfax report was clean; 60k is just getting warmed up. My first tank of gas yielded 32 MPG in mixed driving. It's not a fast car by any means, but it handles surprisingly well; not much need to waste speed/gas slowing down before going around bends. ;). The downside is while the overdrive system sips gas as it pushes the aerodynamic shape through the air, a solo canoe and rec. kayak up top create enough wind resistance to make traveling above 75 or climbing small grades without downshifting out of overdrive impossible. I don't know what my mileage was with the boats up top, but I figure I drive without boats more often than I do, so it's a fair trade-off.

You should know that the Yakima recommended rack is only officially rated for 75 pounds maximum load, but the bars are completely solid and I experience no problems carrying an old 14 foot Royalex solo canoe and 12 foot long rotomolded kayak on the highway. This of course was with solid front and rear tie-downs. There are holes in on each side just under the hood that are a very convenient place to bold under-hood loops to. There are also spots in the "frame" under the car in the rear that are sufficient for "S" hooks to grab. Beyond this, the rear seats fold down completely flat and have tie down tracks built into them, the front passenger seat folds forward into a desk and there are numerous storage compartments throughout the car.

Additionally, I upgraded from the recommended 48 inch bars to 58s. They offer plenty of room for my boats and do not hang over the widest part of the car.

So far I'm very happy with my Vibe; it's a VERY practical car.

Phreon

75 pounds max load on Yakimas?
I also have a Vibe and my Yakimas are rated for 120 pounds as I recall. Are you sure about that load?

Its possible I am not remembering right, I will look for my Yakima literature.

How about a toaster
I have a Mini, which I recommend, but it sounds like you want more space - how about a Scion xB? It looks like it meets all your specs - the auto even gets better mileage than the manual. Long roof line should carry boats well - one review I read says it has more space inside than the Element. I think they’re weird enough looking to be cool…

The bars will support the weight, its
how/what its attached to that may not.

Scion has more space than Element?
That would be a nice trick!

I have an Element, and from all appearances, it is significantly larger than the Scion.

I believe the Element is rated at 75 cubic feet of interior space.

A bigger factor (to some) might be the load limitation of the Element: 675 pounds!

I couldn’t believe it myself, but it’s in the manual, and on the door sticker.

To have that much interior room, and that LITTLE load capacity seems nuts to me.

FWIW, I’ve FAR exceeded that 675 pounds on several occasions. Perhaps that’s why I had to replace my rear struts so soon! :slight_smile:

Bob

better w/a stick
That motor is known for needing to be stirred.

excellent
Thanks for the tip. I like the Subarus.

75 LBS.
I just checked the Yakima site and confirmed that the Q-Tower and Low-Rider combo setup is officially rated for 75 lbs. Seems like utter crap; I yanked the heck out of the front bar (on Q-Towers) and the rear bar (Low Riders on the factory rack) and neither budged an inch. I suspect their rating includes a good dose of CYA.

I wouldn’t run slaloms or enter a road rally with the boats on top, but the setup is otherwise quite solid.

Phreon

yr kidding
with those tires? most small vehicles have a 800lb or so rating. Four normal sized heavy people.

Wish I WAS kidding!
No fooling: The Element has a load limit of 675 pounds, according to the data plate on the vehicle.

Bob

Lawyered up
That load rating is 100% CYA for Honda. I have had far more than that in my Element with no noticable ill effects. Honda does the same with their motorcycles, my PC800 Pacific Coast has a paltry load rating also which I exceed regularly.

Hello? Shortline?
What, no comments?

you stump humm
well i drive a kia sportage and does a great job for me…good on gas mileages and hauls all my toys on thule rack…mtb bike road bike 3 yaks i have also canoe.it reasonable price for the money you wanted to spent.back seat fold down for more room for gears.etc…been driving this for 2 years,brought brand new…only if i had roof top{sun roof} would have been good let heat out in summer…this is what you can look into…have good day paddler…may current be with you…

Whoops - passenger not cargo room
Had it wrong - the xB has more head, hip and shoulder room for front and rear passengers than the Element - hard to believe but I just rechecked the specs on edmunds.com. The cargo space on the xB is much less - 43 cu. ft. But then again, my Mini has enough cargo space for me…

The xB is 1000 pounds lighter and gets 30/33 mpg vs. 21/25 mpg for the Element - a major difference in my opinion.

Honda
Test drive a Honda Fit. Hatchbacks are great for hauling gear, and that car should carry the boats without a problem. But try to test drive it in a strong wind–the problem with cheap cars is that they can be light, and therefore scary in cross winds. Honda Civics are fine cars, and steady in the wind, but to get a hatchback, you have to get used. Hondas have been great cars (in my experience).

My subarus have had little annoying problems, and they would cost more than your budget.

I now have a Toyota prius, which is great, but much more than your budget. My grad student has a toyota echo, and she hates it with a passion–it’s so cheap and light, driving is terrifying with any wind, and adding boats on top would make it death-defying on the highway. Hate to say it, since I’ve never known a toyota to be junk, but the echo isn’t a great boat carrier.

VW sale
3 models under 17k!

Jetta

Rabbit

Beetle