Vehicles for Paddlers/What gets you to the put-in?

Mazda CX5 wagon with the 6-speed manual transmission. I get 36 mpg highway without the boats and 32 to 34 with them, depending on headwinds. I suspect (no proof, of course) that carrying the boats inverted is slightly more aerodynamic. It also keeps rain out of the cockpits and protects the hull of the plastic boat from oil-canning on the rack. In the case of my short roof and narrow rack spacing, my coamings fit precisely between the racks and further prevent the boats from shifting from inertia and this also helps in solo loading.

The only drawback to the car is that you can’t open the tailgate with the boats on the roof (I hate those stupid tailgate mount “fins” they put on most cars) and I have to slide my 213 cm one piece Greenland paddle between the passenger seats and door to carry it inside.

I wish more car makers would design them with longer and flatter roofs. And stop putting stupidly useless lateral roof bars on them and either place transverse factory racks on them or go back to sturdy rain gutters. I loved my older Volvo wagons for kayak hauling – lower roof was easier to load and I could mount racks with substantial spacing between them. My 1992 740 wagon was by far the best boat hauling car I ever owned, though the '95 850 was more plush inside. Newer Volvo wagons are just as useless for boat hauling and indistinguishably “swoopy”, jacked up and impractical as any Asian or US marque.

I see yknpdlr has definitely won the overhang award.

Chuck - is that purple boat a Mariner Coaster?

@carldelo said:

@carldelo said:

Northwest Sportee

Northwest Sportee

Ah, yes, I’ve heard about that boat, but never saw one.
I have a SOF version of the Coaster, which is a sweet boat.

This is our “heavy” configuration. It is a 3/4 ton truck towing the “dog house”

with kayaks on the roof rack.

I have not done that yet, but have a similar setup-only also have a third roof bar for long canoes

Roof bars and bed bars are different heights. Removed the front bed towers and bar. Without the roof rack boats hang out a little too far.

We have jbars on our grand cherokee, works fine for the 10’ kayaks but you still need a step stool to get them upthere.

If we are just taking the 10’ ones we put them in the back of the truck and tie them down by the carry handles.

My 13’ sea ghost fits with the tailgate down, and yes i have a flag for it.

It will be going on the racks when we take the camper, which should be interesting, it’s on the heavy side.

The truck is easier to load and unload for sure.

I use my 99 Prelude. Based on my limited experience I think that for urban solo kayaking it’s about the best vehicle. I has a very low roof height so yanking the boat up is easy. Just give a quick knee kick and up it goes. No fancy hardware is needed, just foam blocks and lashing straps. When done up properly the boat is very secure.
About everyone I see uses taller vehicles and racks. I always cringe at the thought of loading up on those vehicles. Coincidentally about everyone I paddle with will ask for help loading up. Sure, they would be able to do it solo but can’t pass up the chance to do it more easily with a second person. I usually refuse help since it’s just as easy to lift it on my own.
As far as getting getting to remote areas, even it I did that I wouldn’t want to play the offloading game. I have little trust in offloading abilities of most modern vehicles and a proper 4x4-ing is an expensive game to play.

Ok got a new used car for transporting kayaks. here it is.

Wow! If that’s a new car, it’s retro on a WHOLE new level! LOL! Nice ride, though…

If that’s too small, we have this…

Short roof long boat. The key a Yakima stretch kit for coupes. Really stable.
I take it on highways every weekend. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

@JohnGoldhurst said:
Short roof long boat. The key a Yakima stretch kit for coupes. Really stable.
I take it on highways every weekend. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

The Goodboy racks work good for short roofs long skinny boats.
http://goodboykayaks.com/

@dc9mm said:
Ok got a new used car for transporting kayaks. here it is.

Cool!

Not mine but lots of overhang

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/17390842_10210365035374935_6910192507038464665_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=cecb4b51bcf9eb3067a55b25ece9d6d0&oe=5A464360

I suggest getting a 4wd vehicle with very high ground clearance. Then you can find your own personal parking and launches.

Ground near the water is frequently soft, and people only park there as a last resort.

Kings beach in Providence Rhode Island is a great place to launch, but it is packed and there is never any parking. Yet there is a torn up road going down to a boat launch. There is a 1 foot cliff like drop. And beyond that there is privacy, parking, a place to sun yourself, and easy access to the water.

I imagine that there are many, many inaccessible but legal places like that.

As a completely off topic comment, solas tape works great on bikes.

Yes 4x4 will get you stuck farther from the paved road where the wreckers don’t go. (Have 2)

Just don’t park on the big beach at low tide and come back to the now little beach after high tide.

@Overstreet said:
Yes 4x4 will get you stuck farther from the paved road where the wreckers don’t go. (Have 2)

This has actually become more of a consideration for me in my next vehicle purchase. Soon after I first got it, I went all sorts of places you’d never dream of going with most vehicles; even those with AWD. When I think of what would have happened, had I gotten really stuck in some of those places, I cringe at what it might have cost me to get unstuck.

I carry some self-rescue gear in the truck. Enough that I’d probably be able to get myself out eventually. But it would be a lot of time and effort to do it. A winch is an option, but it doesn’t help in many cases of electrical/mechanical failure. Not to mention the expense of a good one.

Maybe I’m just getting older and wiser, but I tend to stay more on the pavement these days than I used to. The good news is that vehicles meant for pavement (and occasional gravel) are a lot cheaper to purchase and maintain than true 4X4.

There was a video on YouTube - a wrangler and a horse off-road. The horse laughed at the jeep.