Venture Islay 14LV too small?

Sounds like you’ve got good boat karma already! Congratulations! The Carolina is a nice boat and that is certainly an excellent deal, especially with all the goodies included.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m taking it out tonight to have some fun.

It was funny how it worked out. I’ll tell you the story because I’m really excited still…I checked Craigslist, it wasn’t there. So I grab a bite to eat, mow the grass, do some odd things…time goes by you know…and check again it’s a 2-hour old ad. He must have listed it like 10mins after I walked away, and he tells me he’s already got another person coming to look at it, which is no surprise. I knew I was late to message him, but my heart sank anyway.

I think for a bit, and then hit him up with “If it falls through and it’s as good a shape as you say I’ll pay $50 extra for it he falls through and you give me next dibs.” I can say that because I’ve been out in my friend’s Carolina a few times and and am very comfortable in it, so I know I’ll take it. I expected it to have some rough bits and to maybe talk him down. Not everyone gives the best description and, you know, it’s Craigslist.

Not ten minutes later he says “Well, I’m not so sure about the first guy so you can come now.” so I hop in the car; I get there and it’s in really good shape; I kept my word about the +$50 because it is in good shape and hand him the money, and he goes into the garage and comes back out with all the accoutrements he just gives me. I think he actually still expected me to argue over price because he hesitated when I handed him the full amount with the bonus. He reminded me of the scrapes on the bottom before he took the money.

As I’m loading it up he even offers to hold on to the cash in case something’s wrong and I want a refund. I can’t believe how I just fell into this. The boat is in really good condition. :flushed:

…once I Lemon Pledge™ the sucker I’ll share a picture, if you like. It’s pretty sharp. I’m super excited I got it. :+1:

2 Likes

That’s excellent! The extra gear is a great score and well worth $50. You have to think fast like you did these days to get kayaks, it seems.

Once you get it cleaned up post in the “Show off your boat” thread, newly resurrected.

Ah, no Lemon Pledge! Wash it with soapy water and then spray it well with Scotch 303 UB protectant.

Maybe some of my “kayak luck” rubbed off on you.

Yeah, let us know how it goes after the maiden voyage! I would sure like to be out on the water right now but it is still beastly hot here and the thunderstorms they have been warning about all day are signalling their arrival.

1 Like

Uh oh…I thought Old Town recommended Pledge? It cleans it up nice and I thought had a light UV protectant in it? I hope I didn’t ruin. I only did the top deck so far, I haven’t had time to really go through and give it the full clean yet.

Edit: If your kayak luck rubbed off on me, thanks again! lol. :wink: