Versatile Kayak

Delphin

– Last Updated: Apr-17-14 9:50 PM EST –

The adjustment in the Delphin's backband allowed me to slide back in the seat just a little bit giving me room for my feet. I should add I paddled the 155, I probably wouldn't fit in the 150.

I can see someone being very happy with the Journey, especially a big person. It has a ton of room, and the seat is the most comfortable I've ever sat in. I didn't mean to disparage the Journey, I was actually impressed by it. Just not what I'm looking for.

Disparaging the Jackson Journey?
No need to qualify your opinions. I have paddled the Journey only twice; too little seat time to qualify the paddling experience, let alone defend or recommend it.

I bought it because I was sick of having my 13+ feet jammed into kayaks without enough foot room; For that it does work with it’s fine foot room.

Tentative handling thoughts, based on only those 2 paddles, are similar to your evaluation.

My favorite 14’ kayak is the F1, a skin on frame kayak designed by Brian Shultz of Cape Falcon Kayaks. However, skin on frame kayaks are a risky choice in rocky rivers, hence the Journey entered my fleet.

Dave

One reason I always give strong
consideration to Jackson boats is the qualifications of their chief designer.

“David Knight is a C-1er from the Washington, DC area. His full time job is as a Naval Architect at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Bethesda, Maryland.”

Us c-1 paddlers benefit from the low kneeling position, which forces extra blood and oxygen to our brains. And even better, how can a guy like Dave, working years at the Surface Warfare Center, be other than a straight shooter?

New Karma RG
I just received my new Karma RG expecting perimeter deck lines. It has NONE!

brackets
Does it have the brackets for it? I seem to remember hearing something that they send it out as a white water person would want (the River Guide version of RG), but that it would be easy to turn it into the Rock Garden version just by running the line.

thank you dave
I’ve been considering adding a more playful boat to the fleet and the Delphin was on the short list. Now I want to demo one!

Do it

– Last Updated: May-06-14 11:21 AM EST –

I bought one. I was hesitant because of my preference for the canoe, but got a great deal on a demo.

I haven't had a chance to paddle it anywhere but a small, local lake. That said, the manueverability and ability to play even in flat water makes me happy that I pulled the trigger.

Be warned wear your skirt, I didn't the first paddle and got wet because the Delphin loves to be leaned up on edge so much so that I had water coming in the cockpit.

congrats
Enjoy!

A few car repairs to make, and then shopping season begins!

Another positive
The outfitting is fantastic. You can move the thigh braces, seat and the hip pads which of course makes for a individual and comfortable fit.

Take it down The Kenai
Been taking my Sportee down and up the river past few weeks

One of these days…

You real should
Look at an Eddyline Raven. That boat really can do it all and it should fit.

thermoformed down rapids is crazy

– Last Updated: May-08-14 11:57 AM EST –

I sure wouldn't use any Eddyline down rapids. Bad choice. rocks will split thermoformed as I have seen it twice on the mildest of conditions.

The Raven is a nice kayak but not for class 2 rapids as the OP said he might want to do. Plus the Raven is rather long at almost 17 feet. For rapids roto plastic is the choice as that's what all the white water kayaks I have ever seen are made of. At least nowadays.

The Delphin choice is a good one that the OP made.

Tiderace Vortex
Try that one.