Very old but very clean, worth considering?

The Falcon is a nice looking boat - my concern would be the large amount of bow out of the water due to your small size - that looks like a lot of potential windage if you’re interested in open/big water paddling.

1 Like

Not true. My whitewater boat fits snug in the hips. When I wet exit, I don’t fall out, I push out like I’m pushing off a pair of pants.

1 Like

I just picked up a composite Avatar 16 last summer for $300 (it has some superficial damage and needed hatch covers and a new seat back, all of which I was able to replace .) Perception apparently only made the fiberglass version for a year or two but The hull design is the same as the RM 15.5. I’m 5’ 5” and 155 lbs so in your size range and really like fit and performance of the boat. I have several low volume kayaks so I am aware of good fit. If the price is good on the Avatar I think you might like it too. I think you can find the specs in the 2004 to 2006 archived Perception catalogs on their web site.

1 Like

Nunio,
As people gain experience they want to fit tighter in whitewater boats and wear them for better control. I get that. But for the average person starting out or casual paddlers there is some serious danger in a cockpit that is too small. It is a good way to drown.

1 Like

That’s why the first thing I did when I got a sea kayak was practice wet exits.
Came in handy when I got rolled by a wave at Emerald Isle shortly after I learned.

Thanks! I did think that was a too good a deal to ignore. I originally went to see it thinking I would get it for a friend whose touring kayak is badly warped. But I realized when I saw and sat in it that it would be too small for her – she is taller and much more of an Amazon! So even though I absolutely did not “need” another boat I jumped on it. Guy was cleaning out his barn and claimed his brother had left it with him when he moved back to California.

By the way, when I weighed mine it was almost 5 pounds lighter than the catalog indicated so I gather Perception was rather conservative about weights in their product specs. Then again, fiberglass boats tend to be less consistent than rotomolded. The older Perception boats are really durable. If the seller can give you the serial number you will know the age.

Do make sure that the boat still has the neoprene inner hatch covers if it has the plastic lids with straps like mine does. I was able to get replacements from TopKayaker’s archive stock but I think I may have bought the last one in existence of the smaller oval one. And I got another back band to replace the seat back (the straps on mine were corroded from salt water.) The skeg was sticking on mine until I sprayed some Boeshield lubricant into it. Only paddled it a few times last Fall but found it very enjoyable. Doesn’t hurt that it’s pretty: deck is royal blue to bright yellow fade with sparkly glitter bits in the gel coat.

4 Likes

So, buy it, try it, and if it doesn’t really work for you then find it a new home. And for karma points if you move it on don’t make a profit on the sale.

1 Like

In all fairness, I’m going to be putting some money and hours into rehabbing it, so if I do sell it, it won’t exactly be the same kayak I bought.

Photoyaker - That Falcon 18 appears to have the same seat pan as my older one, with a pronounced raised hump in the center. Mine also has a nylon seat cover with a pad inside that raises my butt a little higher. Without that pad, you might find the hump a bit uncomfortable in the “area between the legs”. In fact, I made my own ~ 3/8 inch thick, horseshoe shaped pad that goes under the butt cheeks and thighs only and that makes the seat pan work really well.

That kayak looks pretty nice. All I can see in the photo is that the rear hatch rim is yellower than the rest of the deck showing that the deck has some sun fade. But it faded to a nice color.

Well good for you…but we do have to challenge your friend’s statement. What does “too many kayaks” even mean? This is in direct violation of the N+1 rule.

2 Likes

Too healthy.
Too much money.
Too much time to play.
Too many kayaks.

There ain’t no such thing!

6 Likes

My Fiberglass

Mariner is 38 years old

5 Likes

I bought my Nordkapp HM in 1984. It’s glass and I’ve made some repairs to the hull for self-inflicted wounds. Last summer I got a rotary buffer on sale and went to work on the finish. Wow. So much easier than doing it by hand! Still going strong after all these years.

4 Likes

That boat is a classic. And your doggie clearly approves!

1 Like

Well, sure. That’s what friends are for, right?

That’s in interesting sales strategy. Did you get the Falcon or still looking for a boat?

If you’re still looking, I’d suggest getting an electronic luggage scale to weigh kayaks instead of trying to guess. Just have a friend or the seller lift one end while you weigh the other end. Then switch ends and add the two weights together. Here’s the scale I have (this seller’s shipping was cheaper when I last bought one) but there are many options out there. The cost of $10 or so is well worth it when deciding among kayaks costing hundreds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323741207668

1 Like

The Sonoma is nice and light! But I bet the Falcon is better for longer trips. :blush:

1 Like