VHF handheld marine radio questions

I think the only change is a lower price, which is nice - as well as the positive comment about the HX870. While I eventually opted for a PLB, that radio is still on my “one of these days” list.

I agree with the assessment of Icom radios with the group. They are about the only radios whose waterproof rating is good enough to take on the ocean. I would not do long distance touring without one.

If your goal is simple communication between paddlers, however, there is a really nice option from BBTalkin. I have done some extensive testing with these and found them to be really nice, clear, and reliable communications for up to 4 (possibly 6 now) people. I was assessing radios for our lifeguards and stumbled on these devices. The company sent a pair of demo units and we’ve used them for a year. I can’t give explicit details on all the tests we’ve done, but a range much greater than 75 meters is possible (the pool is 50 meters and there is no loss of signal until you are outside the gym at least that much further away). THe range may be better over water with unobstructed LOS. The case for the receiver is good down to the bottom of our 13 foot pool (though you may have to pair the radios again if you are down too long).

I don’t do product recommendations as a rule, but a) I feel I owe the company a bit of loyalty as they’ve let us keep the demo units, and b) they really are the only comm units I’ve found that will survive after I enter the water to pull someone out from the life rafts we use in survival classes. Not only do they survive, but after a year of use, I’ve seen no real decline in performance. I have no affiliation with the company and I do not represent the views of the organization where I work, this is just my personal observations.

Rick

I have an older icom 8 years old now. That is in my pfd on me when coastal and big lake paddling it floats and does the weather. Don’t even know it’s there until it squaks when the CG or boater transmits. Still going strong. Will up grade to DSC if it ever gives up the ghost.

FYI I tried the new hx890 dsc vhf and found that two separate units took in saltwater b/t the LCD and front plate during 30min of rolling practice. YMMV. I returned both units. The HX870 has been around longer and may have ironed out this kink.

I have had Standard Horizons from 751 850 851to 870 and never had a problem with water intrusion.

I bought the Standard Horizon HX870 this summer because of the DSC. Was on sale at West Marine plus there was a $40 rebate which made the price even more attractive. I did check the advertising claim that it floats and is waterproof by dropping it in the lake. It survived that test but hasn’t been underwater since.

Yes, it’s larger than the Icoms but I liked the easy to read screen and KISS operation. It’s carried in a tactic pack attached to the back of my PFD, which keeps the antenna higher and out of my face.

@Rookie said:
It’s carried in a tactic pack attached to the back of my PFD, which keeps the antenna higher and out of my face.

That sounds like a great idea to keep it out of the way but still attached to you, but how do you reach it on your back?

Just reach over with either hand and grab it by the antenna. Radio is tethered to the pack so if I fumble, it’s not going anywhere.