VHF or Smart Phone?

I am that Wayne
And yes, we’re doing Fishers. 9:00 AM launch to get to the Race at slack.

Barometer
I also have a watch that has a barometer and a barometric trend indicator. Simple look at my wrist and I see if things are changing.

Marine Weather by Bluefin is also a good app.

ditto

– Last Updated: Aug-22-11 8:41 AM EST –

I really like the weather info I can get with my iphone. Instead of 20 minutes listening to the entire scroll on the VHF, scribbling like mad, and usually missing something - with the smart phone I can just pull up marine, terrestrial, tide, currents, radar, etc. All in 5 minutes, and whenever I want.

Fortunately I paddle in an area where 3G service is the norm out on the islands. On the mainland there are lots of dead spots because of topography, but once you're miles offshore, the service is nearly ubiquitous.

Regarding the waterproof question - I use a form-fitting submersible case for the iphone4. Amphibian, by Innopocket. http://www.amazon.com/Amphibian-All-Weather-Case-iPhone/dp/B004NPBNJK

Have to remove the case for charging, or using the headset, but that's not a problem for me. By only turning the phone on two or three times per day, I easily get 4 or more days between charges when on trips.

Edit to add - I took the question to be whether you prefer getting weather info from a VHF or a Smartphone. Not which one is better for emergency communication. So I'll qualify my response by saying that VHF is hands-down, the emergency communication device of choice between the pair. A truly waterproof phone is a good backup, and is my choice for getting weather info in the field.

VHF
When I teach I always mention the smartphone as a resource as many people already have one, but I prefer to limit my equipment to less specialized rather than more specialized. While I get weather and two way communication from both, the ability to communicate with local vessels and CG are a big plus.

Dug and Tip O’Neill
Kayakmedic, in the words of Dug from “UP”, I have just met you, and I love you.

Everyone on this thread should be reading and re-reading the last two lines you just wrote.

What we are dealing with is an issue of seamanship.

Is the VHF better than a smartphone?

No. That is like asking if Radiofax weather is better than a VHF.

The smartphone cannot supplant a VHF, it can only augment.

The Tip O’Neill reference? His famous quote, “all politics is local”, I have re-phrased for use in my advanced nav classes- “all weather is local”.

Whether the weather is a report from VHF, radiofax, or smartphone, a common complaint from ignorant users is that the weather report is often wrong. Contrary to that belief, the weather report is often remarkably accurate. But only for a large area. Being able to interpret how things like local topography tweaks and modifies the big picture, is part of good wilderness awareness…such as seamanship.

Why…

– Last Updated: Aug-24-11 6:08 PM EST –

...does it matter?

If you want to minimize the amount of gizmos you carrying, then leave phone home.

If you want an undisturbed rest on nature, then leave phone home.

If the comfort of the very process of weather-checking is so important, then take phone with you.

The bottom line is - you already have VHF (I assume), and it does provide weather reports, so the phone is not necessary. You CAN take the phone too, but you don't need to.

My preference is leaving phone home, because I want to have a rest which doesn't involve checking emails or answering to stupid marketers calls, and any calls from friends and relatives can wait until tomorrow. Smartphone is an internet gadget, and as such, it's aiding and supporting the disease called "internet addiction". It has already been diagnosed as a disease and addiction (for many people), and there are specialized expensive treatment centers. I'm dead serious.