VHF pricing & safety

@PaddleDog52 said:
whale came up by me like that I’d be having a heart attack and no longer posting here.

Ditto. Never paddled the ocean yet, though I’m trying to get up the nerve to try it soon.

@Sparky961 said:

@PaddleDog52 said:
whale came up by me like that I’d be having a heart attack and no longer posting here.

Ditto. Never paddled the ocean yet, though I’m trying to get up the nerve to try it soon.

SHARKS! LOL If I saw a Great White I would jump on the whale!

I’ve paddled in the middle of circling humpbacks in Glacier Bay Alaska… They were feeding… We had a group. We all kept banging on our hulls so the whales would know to avoid us. Spectacular and scary.
The thing that creeped me out most in the Gulf of Maine is a mola mola. Ocean Sunfish. Look it up.

Many people new to ocean kayaking are skittish of sharks. But I started kayaking in Long Island Sound where nurse sharks were abundant and going in the water to swim had stepped on a couple… So sharks aren’t on my radar. I would be petrified of sea lions in PeterCA’s territory. The seals here are wary and teases and much less aggressive. A fin means a dolphin.

I’m sorry, but with all the whale talk I just couldn’t resist this:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Lake-Michigan-Whale-Migration-Station-865574633471668/posts/?ref=page_internal

It’s an annual prank that pops up each spring and morphed into a FB page. Even a local radio show jests about whale sightings. Alas, some folks believe everything they see on FB. But Piper the dog is real, does wear goggles at times, and works at the Cherry Capital airport keeping wildlife away.

Come on out to the ocean and you will find real whales!
OK no whales carry radios…
Back to business!

While it’s true that a VHF is less useful in remote locations and some inland water bodies, it’s still the best tool for most coastal areas. Good luck making a cell phone call in difficult weather/water conditions. Of course phones are useless in remote areas where there’s no coverage. Radios in bags are no better in similar situations, as they typically require two hands to operate and the bag reduces the volume and clarity of both transmission and reception. OTOH, a waterproof VHF that’s shoulder mounted (or used with a shoulder mounted remote mic) can be operated with one hand. I’ve been in situations where I needed to communicate and taking both hands off of the paddle was simply not an option. Here’s my method of shoulder mounting a VHF radio:
http://briannystrom.com/?page_id=173

PLBs work anywhere, but they are ONLY for absolute emergencies. You can’t use them for communication in a group, contacting other vessels or monitoring weather.

In Canada talking into a marine radio requires a license which requires a training program I don’t know what it entails, But mine has the weather channels and if I were upside down I would use 16 too hang the license. I wouldn’t expect any response but could get lucky

In Maine a marine radio is pretty much essential lest you get run over by a big ship in fog. When we have a group in fog we use Secuirite often . A GPS is also essential to give your location …

@bnystrom said:
While it’s true that a VHF is less useful in remote locations and some inland water bodies, it’s still the best tool for most coastal areas. Good luck making a cell phone call in difficult weather/water conditions. Of course phones are useless in remote areas where there’s no coverage. Radios in bags are no better in similar situations, as they typically require two hands to operate and the bag reduces the volume and clarity of both transmission and reception. OTOH, a waterproof VHF that’s shoulder mounted (or used with a shoulder mounted remote mic) can be operated with one hand. I’ve been in situations where I needed to communicate and taking both hands off of the paddle was simply not an option. Here’s my method of shoulder mounting a VHF radio:
http://briannystrom.com/?page_id=173

PLBs work anywhere, but they are ONLY for absolute emergencies. You can’t use them for communication in a group, contacting other vessels or monitoring weather.

Nice except the S Horizon 851 is probably double that size. I tried it their but it still lets the antenna poke me in the side of the head. I have mine hanging low on a carabiner at the start of the strap. Have have about 16" of bungee on radio so it can’t be lost. That is looped around opposite shoulder strap and clipped.

I’ve used the same setup with an ICOM M1V, which is at least as big as the 851. You would have to mount the 851 on the right shoulder in order to get decent antenna clearance. Perhaps you could come up with a method to angle the antenna away from your head somewhat.

I guess I’m taking serious risks but I don’t have a radio and I paddle solo, usually no further from land than I would be able to swim in a few hours. The only time I ever witnessed a VHF call for an emergency was during a kayak surfing accident at a remote beach in central california. The victim was rescued by about 15 other kayakers and surfers and transported to the hospital before any first responders showed up. I guess my point is don’t put to much faith in your gadgets, your safety is more dependent on your skills and the skills of those you paddle with.

sometimes it is the ability to call for a rescue when there is no one else around and you would otherwise have to leave the situation in order to help…it’s not always just there to help you. A line to the coast guard can be a very welcome thing for those you wish to help. Best Wishes, Roy

@SeaDart said:
I guess I’m taking serious risks but I don’t have a radio and I paddle solo, usually no further from land than I would be able to swim in a few hours. The only time I ever witnessed a VHF call for an emergency was during a kayak surfing accident at a remote beach in central california. The victim was rescued by about 15 other kayakers and surfers and transported to the hospital before any first responders showed up. I guess my point is don’t put to much faith in your gadgets, your safety is more dependent on your skills and the skills of those you paddle with.

I would not want to depend on swimming a few hours as my safety factor. Especially swimming in a dry suit or with a PDF possibly against the tide and possibly injured. I have been out kayaking this year and heard situation where the people on the boat drowned. Makes it sad as you listen to it unfold and made me just head home. The skills of those I paddle with are near zero as I am really out alone 95% of the time. VHF keeps me connected to nearly every boat out there. The world is now full of gadgets that may save you life. Winter I have Two VHF’s and a cell. How far can you swim in a few hours with gear?

Both good points. It’s not possible in Maine to outswim the tide… Tidal current speed are way over swim speed. Not wanting to start an argument as it as all questions paddle related depends on your paddling ecosystem.

So one approach could be to hug the shore… but with reflecting waves and breaking waves against rocks and a drop and rise of 12 feet over six hours…that too is problematical

I’d though go with two different sorts of communication devices and not a cell. Locating a cell signal isnt too reliable yet. I remember a kayaking incident on Long Island Sound when cell phones became popular… The 911 call went to Orient Point NY… Not Old Lyme dispatch… By sea… 12 miles… By land 250 miles. The kayakers were unable to self pinpoint their location.

I use a Standard Horizon HX300 (floating, submersible, water activated flashing red LED) that is compact enough to fit in my Kokatat Bahia Tour pocket. If I wear a different PFD the VHF goes in my deck bag. It’s very useful around New York Harbour but I would agree that in more remote places (we go up to Nova Scotia for a few weeks every summer and the HX300 is switchable to Canadian channels) the coast guard is likely to be a long way away. My wife also has an iPhone in a waterproof case with her.

For under $100 I think it’s a good thing to have with me though.