Vital wheat gluten, a.k.a. seitan

Good old common sense always applies!

Yep. And that applies to a lot of the information that’s put out on TV, podcasts, talk shows and such. Any study that gets repackaged for the general public should be vetted. Know who is behind it before jumping on board.

In the 24/7 info scramble, a person with no background in nutrition or physiology but who is a skilled business person can work the circuit and set themselves up as a guru. Fancy website, tons of self-branded products and of course, books, all with the agenda of getting rich. At least Dr. Oz was a practicing MD before he went guru.

But back to the original question…I’d love to hear how the homemade Seitan turns out! Please share the recipe if it’s successful.

Good point about the hucksters…errrrrm, gurus.

I haven’t opened the bag of VWG yet, but with a stretch of cold, dreary weather persisting, I’m likely to either try making seitan or try including it in my next batch of bread dough. Will report back on results.

Vital wheat gluten is often used in whole wheat breads to improve the rise, so i use it a lot. Just be sure it’s fresh. It will loose potency just like yeast.

I use a bit in my sourdough too.