Washing your boat after paddling

I just drive through a carwash with the
Boat on top.

Yes I am kidding

every time
Since most of my paddling is done in the sea then the boat gets washed every time along with pdf, clothes, shoes, paddles etc hung on the line and rinsed with the hose

The remaining water is gotten out of the kayak with a mop

I also rinse the car while I’m on, luckily we aint on a water meter

usually I stay on one river
but if I do intend to go to a different body of water, I will clean the boat. I use plain water for regular washing, but for disinfecting the boat I use a bleach solution in a spray bottle after the wash. The boat is all white, so it keeps it that way too!

yes
though I couldn’t understand the one about horses

I am trying to get my friend to also start washing his.

Since we have been paddling parts of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. I don’t want to be the ones to help spread the invasives along the route.

I think portages along the way from one lake to another is a big weak link in trying to keep the boats clean, but I want to at least try to do our best.

Also I don’t want to be pointing the finger at fishermen or other boats and say it’s all their fault and then do nothing on my own boat, to at least make an attempt to control invasives…instead of saying… oh well to late …to me that’s giving up way to early/easily.

no
I dont really, in fact, I have a friend who is at the other edge of the universe here. He lets his boats gather all kinds of crap inside. One time, I went to borrow a boat from him and there were tadpoles swimming around inside.

just counted

– Last Updated: May-25-10 7:48 PM EST –

it's because I have 12 boats, and 4 are OC-1's. Generally it ain't OC-1 season now, it's poling or park and play season (lower water this time of year) so I'm in a poler, squirtboat, c-1 , little fishing boat, or off sailing somewhere. Not a big fan of dam releases but I love the Esopus'.

everything
gets washed, scrubbed and sun dried.

nope
I mostly paddle the same impounded waters of the Catawba chain of lakes. If I go out of the region I will consider it If it seems prudent.

nope
I mostly paddle the same impounded waters of the Catawba chain of lakes. If I go out of the region I will consider it If it seems prudent.

No
Never even thought about it.

Washing…

– Last Updated: May-25-10 8:55 PM EST –

Yes, every time I use one of them it gets washed. After washing; I wipe it dry & rerack it. Royalex boats get a regular, light coat of 303.
Wood trim get a regular, light coat of Watco teak oil.
No boats are ever left outside at home.

Do similiar cleanup on my motorcycles after every ride.

I don't offer any reasoning, justification, or rationalization. It's what I do, I won't change; see no need to change. Doesn't bother me to do it.

Is it really necessary? Probably not, considering the water I paddle.

BOB
aka picky bastard

Always.
I don’t like the Allegheny River/Lake turd line around the outside. And definitely don’t want the poo mud in the cockpits. I like to have a clean boat hanging in the garage and at least at the starting point. I usually give it the once over at take out, then hit them each good when I get home. A thorough drying before taking to another body of water eliminates invasive transfer. Funny, I clean my muddy canoes and kayaks, trying to think when I washed the truck last.

about once or twice a year
Never heard of anyone washing boats around here to prevent spread of anything. All the water I paddle in flows to the same atlantic ocean so I’m not sure I see the point.

Yes,
Sometimes w/car wash soap, sometimes a hosing, sometimes wipe down w/a wet sponge. Primarily depends on the water it just came off of. If it was the Mississippi or Minnesota river it gets the full treatment. Most lakes and the St. Croix usually warrant less. Don’t care for the scum line.

LOL
I paddled the Allegheny River last week and never got all the mud out before switching to the Oswegatchie River in NY (my bad…no washing but it poured rain during the drive).

Then got home and looked at all the Allegheny goo inside the hull caked on…and washed and scrubbed and put the boat away and rolled the hose.

Then looked at the truck…as an afterthought. It was dirtier than the canoe.

Rarely
My key boats stay on top of my van from March to November, and I sure ain’t going to lug them down just to fiddle with a hose, especially when I’m going to use them again in a day or two.

Perceptive readers will correctly conclude that I therefore don’t wash my van either.