Water proof phone case that also is tethered to me when i take the phone out to take pictures

Soft plastic cases designed for use with touch screens and working regular buttons are great, but I don’t recommend them for taking pictures with a cell phone or camera for more than the short term. They quickly pickup micro scratches that leave them looking fogged which soon degrades the quality of photos. And that assumes the plastic stays relatively flat compared to the lens.

For reasonable, but not quite professional photos on the water, I’ll stick with a dedicated point and shoot waterproof camera.

3 Likes

I agree. Note the foggy, muted colors of the Little Dipper and the grass (well, OK, it’s practically dead anyway!) in the image I posted above … and this was under nearly perfect lighting conditions. A dedicated camera is definitely better if you’re paddling with photography in mind, but having the cell phone option for those unexpected shots is nice too. I have noticed that much of the color and clarity can be recovered in Photoshop.
Although I don’t have a waterproof point and shoot, I do have an old Cannon PowerShot, a Ricoh Caplio and maybe another one sitting somewhere in their boxes. Might as well use them … if they get wet and quit working, no great loss.

1 Like

@Buffalo_Alice, are you using the Little Dipper or is that for your grand kids.?

I tried it out to see how the smaller blade felt, but my Granddaughter is the primary user. At 220 cm, it’s ok for me lengthwise when using a higher angle stroke in the Magic, but I have a Shuna as my usual “go to” for that (also 220cm).
I chose the Little Dipper for the picture to get the color gradient.

1 Like

Topic change perhaps?

No, just wondered if she used it. Seems a bit small, but then so is a Greenland.