Water Up Nose

in my Riot Dominatrix to boot!
My paddling buddies regularly get a nice laugh at my expense over the nice graphic of the lady with a whip on my kayak.

Hey, You Ain’t Got Nothin’ Over Me…
want to see the classic 70’s figure on my Boogie? How about the sweetie on the Trickster… :wink: I have both boats in my basement. Side by side I have a Riot Fest! You should see when I whip the fins out. Yeahaw!

sing

lol, that’s hilarious!
Speaking of fins, mine have yet to make it on the kayak. Hopefully this summer I can try them out on Lake Michigan.

And to think…
this all started about water up my nose. Wonder what would have happened if it had been a different body part… given the thread about two way zippers I’m not sure I want to think too hard on that. (oh no!)

Greenland (only?) reverse sweep roll?
What would prevent this roll with a euro?

You Can Do It With A Euro

– Last Updated: Apr-08-05 5:37 PM EST –

but in an extended grip with an offset blade, it becomes more difficult for someone to do this effectively on both sides. The symmetry of the GP helps here. Someone also mentioned back deck roll, which is a true low brace roll with a regular grip. However, if you try to do it with a longer and slower-to-roll-over sea kayak, the inboard blade bangs into the boat before the roll is completed. The reverse Steyr is doesn't let in as much water into the nose either. But, this is a high brace roll, akin to a C2C with a sweep leading to the head dink/Hip Snap. If folks have a hard time with c2c, they will have a harder time with this and are more likely to hurt a shoulder.

sing

Mask and plugs (contact wearers?)
I am at that weaning off point. So this is good stuff.

Main reason I like the mask for practice is I wear contacts. If I lose one in a real need to roll situation - OK, but don’t want to risk it in practice doing lots of rolls.

They seem to stay in OK if I open my eyes a little in salt water, but fresh water is asking for trouble. I rolled eyes closed in fresh a couple weeks ago - and the contacts went screwy just from the water running into my eyes after I was up. They tried to go back behind my eyeball - and folded over back there - which is about as uncomfortable as they can get. Happened left eye. Then being stupid - I tried another roll and the right eye did the same thing after. Amazing I didn’t loose them. Finally - a use for that signal mirror!

I’m a habitual eyes open underwater person. They naturally open and I have to consciously close them. Some people are the opposite. I can roll fine with eyes closed and find it makes little difference - I just really like to see, particularly trying new stuff.

I have gone from a clunky dive mask to a smaller swim mask and nose plugs (mask give me somewhere to attach the nose clips too). I’m beginning to skip the plugs (often by accident!). I’d love to lose the mask too.

Options are LASIK (good candidate - but getting borderline on age at 42 - and it’s still expensive), lots of spare contacts, or prescription sports glasses (and water & salt spots all day - limited sunglass/no sunglass options, etc.).

Anyone have similar issues/thoughts/solutions. Believe it or not this is what is my main reason for considering the surgery route - as the contacts as little bother otherwise.

water up nose
Initially, it was quite disconcerting, but via exposure I’ve gotten used to it. What continues to vex me is when I finally come to the surface, if I forget to exhale first through my nose hard, I suck all the water in my nose down into my lungs and start to choke and gag.

So get used to the water up the nose, it really isn’t that bad, and don’t forget to blow out your nose as you surface.

Best of Luck,

Slim

Of Course…
if ya gonna blow out yellow snots, at least blow the other way from your partner. :slight_smile:

sing

it’s the price
women pay for asking a bunch of perverts a kayaking question with a straight face

You’re just an ocean of wisdom sing.

No Telling How Many "kayaking …
partnerships have ended because of indiscriminate nose clearing. It’s the hidden challenge to kayaking partnerships that no one seems to talk about. Every talks and knows about “divorce boats” but who has talked openly of indiscreet nose blowing…

My mission and contribution to kayaking, if any, is to “clear” this mess up. :slight_smile:

sing

And sinuses are messy
It was in the Sunday supplement today (how convenient) - there are four types of sinus cavities. I did not know that.

One is almost high enough to feel like it’s between the eyes. No wonder there are ice cream headaches!