waterproof cameras, again!

Canon + case
I just finished a trip from Hoover Dam to Davis Dam. It was dark over half of the time and it really screwed up my photography.

While there was enough light, I used my Canon SD450 point-and-shoot with the Canon waterproof case.

I would highly recommend this option. The case is water tight, all of the controls are accessible, it doesn’t weigh much and the “lens” has a really slick anti-reflective coating.

I did some experiments using all the same settings with and without the case. The photos were inunantidistinguishability.

The only downsides are the slight bulk of the case (about the size of an old 35mm point-and-shoot) and the little issue of elevation change (a real surprise when opening the case at high altitude).

The case is a little pricey, but I think the flexibility is well worth it.

inunantidistinguishability
wwww whoa… that was cool.

great photos from Superior and Wisconsin. i’ve paddled much of the lake Superior shore, it’s awesome.

My OptioWPi was decent, VERY convenient!
It held up in numerous Class III rapids and holes despite some flipping – just sitting in the mesh pocket of my PFD. Nice to have pics, even if the non-ideal light capabilities are sad like almost all P&Ss. A high water Class IV rapid finally killed it this last weekend, methinks.

Yep
I too have a DSLR with case, and A Optio WPI… The DSLR & case method SUCKS, its one of those EWA marine ones, the bag is a pita to use. the optio is a great little camera except for one problem, when you press the button, it has a slight lag when the pic is taken, with the DSLR you press the button it takes the pic, quality wise the DSLR pics are slightly better, but its also a much heavier/ expensive/bulky camera to use while on the move. The DSLR also focuses faster, I also like the ability to use the view finder, rather then look at the screen. But when I am yacking or MTBing it’s always the OPTIO. I keep mine in a Mil-spec 9mm Mag pouch; it has clips so I can clip it to my straps on my camel back or belt. Keeps it handy for those spur of the moment pictures.

"spur of the moment pictures"
As far as I am concerned, that is where the little WP cameras shine. Grab shots of friends are most important to me.

Jim

Review of both models
Here’s a comparison of the Olympus and Pentax from Popular Phgotography Magazine.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3552/underwater-camera-shootout.html

Pentax optio w20 vs Olympus SW 720

– Last Updated: Feb-14-07 7:30 PM EST –

another comparison
http://www.fit2paddle.com/photokayaker/C560391461/E20061115152041/index.html

It is surprising that even in the new 770SW model Olympus still offers only 15 fps in a movie mode when many digital cameras including Pentax W20 provide 30 fps.

the 720
great camera. have yet to get it wet as got it for Christmas but I have been shooting lots of pics and it does take nice shots once you read the manual.