waterproof flashlight

Princeton tec
depends on your budget, $18-$80. If you just want anyflashlight to be used as needed the $35 4AA 1watt LED light is a very good light. Bright and long lasting. It’ll satisfy that category of light that someone a mile away could see if you shine it at them or light up the outline of the shore from 100’ in pitch dark.

The EOS with 4AA and 3watt headlamp is a very versatile and VERY bright light but it’s somewhere around $75.

for actual night time paddling with legal running lights you need a red/green bow light and white stern light. Lots of LED combos on that one from $30up.

Short of the red/green running light set-up if you really want to be seen around other boats you have to be lit all the time. While technically not legal I’d go for a white LED light that can be put on the back deck and another one on the front.

The Princeton tec Attitude and Impact are 4AAA lights, small and adequate. It’s worth getting two and permanently tethering it to your boat and pfd.

With Lithium cells it’ll always be ready.

You’re Right About The Strobe
It’s been so long since I carried one I forgot why. The one I had was dual function, strobe and flashlight, and could hang from my vest. I think I bought it at West Marine. Let it sit with batteries in too long. Dumb. When the moon’s full I’d rather not use artificial light anyway.

Guardian & Princeton Tec
Frequently, in warm weather, my wife and I pack a picnic supper, go out onto Round Valley Reservoir (in New Jersey) in the late afternoon in our touring kayaks, find a place to land and have supper while watching the sunset and the moonrise, and then paddle in the moonlight for a few hours. However, we use lights on our boats in addition to headlamps. The following is from one of my posts (with a couple of alterations).

My wife and I have been using Guardian lights from EssentialGear.com. We use a red and a green on the bow (or a red on the bow and a green on the stern) and two white lights, one on each side behind the cockpit (where they won’t interfere with night vision). I paid approximately $12 each for these lights. People on fishing boats have told us that they had no difficulty seeing us at 500 yards on a moonlit night (on a really dark night we probably would be visible at a greater distance). These are really small lights that we clip onto our perimeter lines.

For a light that can be aimed, we use a Princeton Tec Matrix II (if I remember correctly). Although it isn’t mentioned strongly, a red lens cap is available for this headlamp. That should help the night vision problem.

The aformentioned lights are waterproof to 3(?) meters (if you’re deeper than that, you have a different problem).

Hope this information is useful.

Dive lights
Dive lights are waterproof, no question. Most are pretty well made. They cost a little more, but if you are sixty, ninety feet down, you want one that you can depend on.

When used in ‘air’, instead of under water, they tend to feel warm, hot. A dunk in the water will cool them off.

Since they are sealed, and cannot vent, gases will accrue inside the light itself. Enough build up can blow the housing apart, or make a big pop when you take it apart. (Six or eight D cells) Wise to change batteries often, or just open it once in a while, to avoid this.

I use an Energizer headlamp. Great invention, don’t be without one, but I find that LED light is blurry, weak. The halogen bulb of a dive light is much stronger. Carry both.

i dont see princeton tec attitude or
matrix listed on their website. anyone tried the quad?

UK, check it out
Here is Underwater Kinetic’s site.

http://www.ukinternational.com/home.php