Waterproof Phone Pouch / Bag / Case

Looks like a great little app, but one needs to keep in mind that in order for that app (or any other) to work one must have a cell or WiFi signal. If not, it won’t be of any help.

It works using GPS only, no WIFI is needed. I’ve tried it out, I don’t have a data plan with my mobile.

1 Like

A GPS signal is receive only from various GPS satellites. It is not a means of communication. Cell phone apps like this require a WIFI or cell signal as Rookie said. For universal coverage you would need a satellite communications device like a PLB or satellite messenger system. Spot, Garmin, and ACR are some of the companies that sell devices that rely on a worldwide satellite system and not cell phone reception.

The what3words app will only tell you your GPS position, like any dedicated GPS or GPS enabled VHF radio would. However, to access help you have to be able to communicate this information to the appropriate people by radio, cell phone, etc.

1 Like

True, you do need a cell signal as well. If you happen to be paddling in a location that has cell coverage, the what3word app does give you 3 words that you can relay to whoever you calling for help and they are then able to identify your location.

Here in Canada, or at least Ontario, many municipalities are promoting the use of this app to help first responders find your location.

1 Like

As I understand it, GPS pinpoints your location but is not a means of communication.

Without cell or satellite communication, how would you call for help?

Did some research and it’s an interesting app and probably a good addition to your phone as a Plan B, C, etc.

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-does-what3words-work/

Good point rookie. My Samsung phone is waterproof, but I don’t want to expose it to salt water. I put the phone, wallet and key fob in a Pelican 1060 case clipped to the seat strap. I don’t answer the phone while I’m on the water; on several occasions my kids saw alerts about a kayaker in distress. They weren’t able to reach me, so they bought me a watch that links to the phone. It’s set to vibrate when I get a text so I can message back. Also comes in handy if you fall and can’t reach your beer.

I believe the lockstations along the Erie Canal are monitored by VHF radio.

When the locks are open and they communicate on channel 13, not 16. So they might not be monitoring 16 at all.

I also carry one one those waterproof pouches. And they float too, at least mine does.

Yeah, darn hard to read in sunlight though.

For those who have waterproof phones, it’s a great advantage if that’s your camera since you’re not shooting through another layer of plastic. But they still sink. Here’s a solution: Buoyant Smartphone Accessory - How to never lose your phone in the water! - YouTube

Newer Dry-Pak phone bags float. There’s foam in the bag. Good to protect from heat in the summer.