Wax on, Wax off

@grayhawk said:

That’s a good one.
I use to coat the bottom of the hulls on my wooden kayaks with graphite powder mixed with epoxy and then sand to a slick finish, a real chore and I don’t think it matters that much.

That does sound like a real chore. I’m not in a position to criticize anyone else’s approach. I used to give my canoes a bubble bath with Dawn every time I used them and apply 303 a few times a year. Now I just use them and they’re lucky to get an annual bath and 303 application.

@TomL said:

TI used to give my canoes a bubble bath with Dawn every time I used them and apply 303 a few times a year. Now I just use them and they’re lucky to get an annual bath and 303 application.

Just so you know, Dawn (and dish soap generally) is a pretty good degreaser. If you don’t wax your boat (or car), dish soap might be okay…but if you do wax, dish soap will remove that protective coating quite effectively. You’re better off using a car type soap you can find at any FLAPS.

For poly kayaks, Formula 303…sort of a sunscreen for plastic.

@grayhawk said:
Very basic. Pour water on a car hood that needs waxing and it will sheet right off.
Now pour water on it after waxing and it will bead up and want to stay there.

Laminar flow…A slightly rougher hull will hold a layer of water close to the hull that the other water will slide over.

That’s interesting. I have an 18 year old Wilderness Systems Ride that’s still in great shape, but there are innumerable shallow scratches and scuffs all over the hull, from years of use. I have considered sanding it down or performing other restorations, but I’m reluctant because I don’t want to do anything that might shorten its life. She’s a great little yak, probably good for another 10-15 years if I take care of her.

Do you think just leaving the hull as-is would actually be better for performance?

@Oregonpaddler said:
For poly kayaks, Formula 303…sort of a sunscreen for plastic.

That’s good to know. I have an 18 year old poly kayak that I really want to take good care of.