Wax vs paint sealant on gelcoat.

@shiraz627 said:
303 is the ticket…

Good but shine doesn’t last long at all.

If you’re concerned about shine leave the boat on the rack! I bought all my boats for use not eye candy.

No sense having a boat or anything else I own look like shit. I enjoy looking at my kayaks, boat, cars and trucks over decades old and look new. I get pleasure maintaining them. Like I said before if I paddle 2 or 8 hours it doesn’t matter to ME if I spend 10 or 20 minutes keeping it looking good. Next time I unwrap it, it still looks new and gives me pleasure. For me personally I would not enjoy a kayak with the deck all burned up in the sun. Guess I should not bother cleaning my drysuit either just paddle till I drop and wing it in a pile at the end of the day. To each their own. So if I sell what I own or give it away it won’t look like a lump of crap.
Kayak below is 18 years old but I still don’t mind seeing it shine. It took a few hours when I got it to make it look like that. I got it on eBay for 800 with mud on it guess I could have just paddle three more hours and left it like crap. The tandem below is 19 years old. It also needed some care and cost 900.

Same boat which one would anyone here rather own? Before paint I paid 200 or 300 for it. Boat was so filthy color was hardly known. Dealer saw it on roof from house and didn’t know what it was composite or plastic or type and they sold Current Designs kayaks.

Wax never helped my race boat go any faster but it looked better waxed at the races.

Nice collection of boats Paddle Dog. One time I spent about 3 days trying to get a tannin stain off the white gel hull.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Wax never helped my race boat go any faster but it looked better waxed at the races.

Glad you came over from the dark side.

Always love to go fast. Cars, bikes, boats, now kayaks. Well now it’s is it going to be 6.75 or 7.5 mph. Still fun to get the most possible.

@shiraz627 said:
Nice collection of boats Paddle Dog. One time I spent about 3 days trying to get a tannin stain off the white gel hull.

Thanks all good deals except the cheapest one I restored. Probably near 900 in it and much much labor. Well that was free. Then trying to get cables in it was a bear. I had a cut off saw in my hand with 14" blade. I was ready to cut it in half. Now I learned tricks after that and the others were easy. Luck the saw actually didn’t start and I cooled off a bit. Learned a lot with them all. Swapping seats to wide base, new cables, painting, glassing in Sea-lect pedals pedals and dumping sliding Yakima pedals.

Leaning how to get into the front of an Extreme to work was also fun for my size.

I have gotten my best deals on preowned boats.

@shiraz627 said:
I have gotten my best deals on preowned boats.

If you buy reasonably right it cost you little or nothing. Libra I have was 900. Exactly same as new model. I updated pedals front and rear 150 then bolt in. New deck line in front wax and compound.

New 4900 400 tax. 5300 vs say 1100.

Oh yeah new one has glass bulkheads vs. abs.
Took 2-3 years to find one near me. 3 he ride each way. She wanted me to go to a party the day I left to get it. I told her enjoy the party. So she came with me. She loves the tandem as do i. I always rub it in to her now.