We-no-nah Argosy / solo for creeks

The Mohawk in my Guide is wider than
that. I usually build up narrower pedestals to 10", by contact-cementing panels on the sides. Of course it is usually necessary to narrow the pedestal a bit at the top where the thighs pass downward when kneeling.

That’s because you don’t have
enormous feet to extract from under a seat or kneeling thwart. But pedestals have other advantages…

I hate to agree with him
all four boats are not what I would use in heavy whitewater (over class 2 or with huge wave trains). More for the moving water/touring ilk where you can take advantage of the ability to move around.

But pedestals do take the pain off aging knees…after so many years moving around in the boat, I simply cant get used to being fixed in one position for a downriver run!

Pedestals in a playboat…absolutely.

G2D
I’d love to see thos pics. my address is

paddle@tallapoosariveroutfitters.com

Thanks

argosy owner
being on the heavy side and not having alot of experience paddling this or other boats i have really enjoyed reading this post… ive been interested in paddling a mohawk odyssey…and a m.r. freedom or guide because im looking for a lil more stability at my weight (230)and more rocker thats the same on both ends for more fun on the twisty streams…i dont think at my weight anyway that the argosy would be good for fishing out of. i like my argosy but i think there is a more suitable solo canoe out there for me…great post …thanks jack

Swift Raven
is a big boat for the larger person or for extended trips. Its a solo wilderness river runner meant to stay out for a loong time.

Its too big to be fun as a playboat though.

I dont have as much fun on the Dead as my pals in Nitros.

I’m not a fisherman
but if I was, I’d keep the Argosy and find myself a used tandem for fishing. Riverstrider has a MR Explorer with a center seat that would be perfect. Gives you the option to stand while fishing, and you could take up poling :wink: