Wearing a PFD at all times or maybe not?

I’ve paddled and floated the Edisto for years. The only time I was really concerned was when the flow was 10,000 cfs. It looks like flatwater at that level but when huge trees are bouncing in the current, it is a dangerous place to be. Most of the water is funneled through the swamp.
Otoh, it was a really fast trip.

2 Likes

I watched the whole video. I love that section of the Connecticut River. We did that trip in the spring of 2018 at around 6’, 4,000 cfs on the North Stratford gage. Pretty famland, nice campsites, lots of quickwater, and one class 1/maybe II rapid at Lyman Falls. We were hoping to go back this spring but the level dropped too quick.

I checked the gage on August 17th when these guys were out, and it was around 4’, 1,000 cfs - low but still fluid. Lots of rocks, so prime conditions for pinning a boat. Kind of scary to hear the description of the paddler’s feet getting stuck under the seat. Don’t know if the seat was hung high or low - I guess it can happen either way. Hasn’t happened to me yet, and hopefully it never will. I do have the seat up high. (That’s why dedicated whitewater boats have pedestals.)

Wasn’t quite sure which boat pinned - was it the SRT. I had a friend pin his SRT. Not quite as bad as that one, but still pretty bad. He was able to get it repaired, and now you would never know. Hopefully he will get the boat back.

Not sure how much the PFD had to do with keeping his head above water as he worked himself free from the boat. Looks like it was pretty shallow anyway. Not to say that the PFD still isn’t important.

He really didn’t talk about how they got the gear from the boat to land. Current moving over a rocky river like that is prime territory for a foot entrapment. Just like the current wrapped the boat around that rock, it will hold someone down if they fall in with their foot stuck in a rock. There are ways to safely wade across the river.

Still, makes me want to get back and do that section again - fun section, but not without its challenges.

1 Like

Excellent review from Frostburg State U (MD). Thanks for the link.

Yes it was the SRT

That’s a real bummer.

I’ve seen a couple of discussions about this incident on some paddling pages. The two other paddlers slowly walked back and forth retrieving gear and taking it to shore. Paddler who lost his SRT was pretty adamant that PFD gave him time to free himself. “It took me some time to free myself and quite honestly my PFD was keeping my head above water until I was able to free one leg.”

3 Likes

I didn’t see any response to your question about whether i wore my PFD. I have always been on record that I never go out on the water without a PFD on my body. I made note that if you’re willing to take chances with your own life, that is a personal judgement call. It really is nobody’s business. If you paddle with me, I require everyone in the group wear one. Primarily because nine times out of ten, it’s my equipment. I don’t want to be the one chasing it (if it isn’t yours, you’ll probably just watch it float away as you grab onto whatever is nearby. Another reason is it’s typically family or friends, so I want them safe. Third is I want you to be equipped to save me in the event I freak out and want to stand in your head. Id hate to be the reason you drown.

I hope I quelled everyone’s fears about 30 mph gusts. 10 to 15 mph with 20 mph gusts are typical on the bay. Gust to 30 are less common and add a new dimension to paddling because the effect of wind tends to increase more exponentially. I don’t fear them, I just don’t like them. It can add up to 20 minutes to a trip. As winds increase, waves grow. Managing them means, for instance, dropping speed from 4.5 mph to 3.5 mph. Do the math: 2 miles at 1 mph slower keeps you in an aerobic zone and prevents water overwashing the deck and spraying your glasses. Just a mater of perspective.

I won’t paddle with @szihn. He’s crazy.

1 Like

Crazy?? !! Me??? Naaaa, Can’t be me.

I am so outspoken about metal health I put a bumper sticker on my truck.

It reads

“Support Mental Health
Or I’ll kill you!”

2 Likes

Shallow water, why wear a PFD…you hit your head on a rock on the bottom, you isn’t walking anywhere.