Weathercocking with a Loaded Boat???

Huh?
Moving the seat forward would reduce leecocking, not weathercocking. Removing the rear deck bag would reduce weathercocking.

Was not agreeing with you

– Last Updated: Jul-10-08 3:20 PM EST –

You said:

"Doesn't moving the seat forward counter weather cocking also? . . . mine weather cocks so I moved the seat forward . . ."

By moving the seat forward on a boat that weathercocks, you bring the stern up out of the water more, and sink the bow a bit more. Now the bow will be grabbier and the stern looser and the weather cocking more severe.

You also move the pivot point of the boat forward, more like a weather vane.

Imagine what would happen if you took your solution to extremes, and moved the seat up to the bow and sat there. You would basically have a weather vane that would always point into the wind.

As for "Thanks for repeating exactly what I said," that sounds sarcastic and patronizing. Was my post offensive in some way other than I disagreed with you?

using a rudder - definitely not
"sporting" and probably not “public school” either.

Seem to remember reading in the history books about British officers’ multiple complaints concerning the Americans’ propensity to shoot at the massed British formations from behind the cover of stone walls, trees, etc. - definitely “not sporting”.

First off,

– Last Updated: Jul-10-08 6:18 PM EST –

you continue to ignore my entire point, which really doesn't surprise me.

Some kayaks have a center pivot point forward of the center line, and some have one further back.

I was only saying that your body also acts like a sail and that by moving my seat forward I have reduced weather cocking with my kayak, which has nothing to do with the weight distribution.

I never said weight distribution was not a factor. So stop repeating that.

I don't understand why you would contend that "wind profile" has nothing to do with weather cocking. That's all I added to this discussion. And I said each kayak is different.

If you have a point to make simply make it without including my contrabution to this thread.

And don't be offended if I don't respond to you again.

I don't appreciate your condicening post when I'm just trying to share information and join in the discussion.

Sorry
If I seem to be ignoring your point or seem condescending,I don’t mean to be. And I am willing to be corrected, but I think you are wrong in moving your seat forward to minimize weathercocking. You may keep it there if you like, but I would not want somebody else to take that as true if it is not.

If your Capella is excessively weathercocking, you want to move the seat back rather than forward. I had the same problem with that Capella 169 and talked to Ben Lawry, who is the East Coast rep for P&H and had a 169 as his personal boat. He told me to move the seat all the way back and keep any gear in the back. It worked. Call him yourself and let me know if I am wrong.

I think I understand your point - you think that the “sail” effect of your body is more important than what you are doing with the weight of your body. Interesting theory, but unless I got it wrong from Ben, he said to move the seat back and that worked for me.

Nigel Foster has a great section on weathercocking and boat handling in his six part video series. He explains that weathercocking is caused by the tail skidding while the bow is tracking under pressure. The bow is under high pressure because it is moving forward in clean water. The tail can be blown around because it is loose in turbulent water. He doesn’t mention anything about the effect of the wind on the deck.

Anything you can do to tack down the tail will help with weathercocking. Normally you can do this by dropping the skeg (or rudder), edging into the wind/waves, and keeping the stern down in the water. Anything that lifts the stern out of the water is going to decrease its lateral resistance and increase weathercocking.

If I didn’t understand your “sail” theory, or I am not understanding it now, or I have misunderstood your point again, I’m sorry. That is just an unfamiliar theory to me. I am not ignoring you, I just don’t quite understand you, or rather my understanding is the opposite of yours.

Maybe somebody else can explain it better. I hate to think that you moved your seat forward to minimize weathercocking if that is not the thing to do.

I am looking at my previous posts for something that prompted a personal attack, but I don’t see anything. If you will point it out, I will make an edit.