weight training and fitness for paddlers

kayak erg
I have a question about those kayak trainers (or maybe it is about my forward stroke?). When I do a forward stroke I push with my top hand almost as much as I pull with my bottom hand. It almost feels like a shot put movement with my top hand, it is a full, upper-body, motion as I use my abdominals to push that top hand. This looks impossible on the kayak erg machine, it looks like you can only pull with the lower hand. (I remember my college physics professor once saying, “you can’t push a rope.”) What is going on here?

today…
I had my yearly physical

And clearly all the cardio and strength training I’ve been doing has paid off - at least in cardio health. My Dr said nice things, even about my weight - GASP!

As for strength training - well thats hard for the Dr. to quantify, but I’ve been doing it 3 times a week and I’ve noticed that I’m not sore after, and starting to bump up reps.

I’ve been really focused on upper body and core, but not neglecting legs. Got the trainer at the gym to give me a exercise that isolates obliques.

I know its not as great as having exercises/machines that are specific to paddling, but I’m trying with what I’ve got.