Wenonah Adirondack

Don’t Buy it!
I was ready to jump in and encourage you to buy it. I’ve paddled the Adirondack in royalex and liked it a lot. A very nice boat in my opinion. But when I found out they want $700 for it!, well, that is too much.

Are you aware that brand new, retail for a wenonah Adirondak is $950? If in mint condition I wouldn’t pay more than 70% of retail for a used canoe. That would be $665. I’d rather spend the additional $250 and buy a new one.

My 2 cents
I’d offer $650 and jump on it.

Yes, my RX Spirit II oilcans a bit. It bothered me for all of 2 minutes. It is still a pleasure to paddle a massive upgrade from a Coleman.

Don’t agonize for too long, it will be winter soon. Get out and have some fun.

Last thoughts re: Rx Adirondack
I just reread your original post and noted that you said you were new to canoeing and that you loved your on-the-water tryout of the Adirondack. So … what’s not to like … why not get it and mitigate the slight-to-moderate oilcanning with a middle post and beam of some sort. That’s what I’ve done. I picked up one that was in pretty good shape last year for $500 and though I was disappointed with the flex, I figured I could engineer a fix (post & ski) that preserved it’s best hull shape when loaded. Remember why you like the Adirondack … good performance and stability, fairly narrow paddling positions, fine constuction (esp. strong seats and gunwales), decent aesthetics and reasonable price. It’s not at all a bad canoe … rather, it’s a good one just needing a little belly musculature help. If you really want speed and abrasion resistance long-term … well, pick up a composite canoe used or new for a somewhat higher price. The real world is full of compromises that require accomodation on our part. Enjoy either way … Shawn

Thanks
Thanks for all the response and advice. I will take everyone’s opinion into determining if I should purchase this or not.

Thanks,