We're all between swims

I believe your assertion about using feathered paddles and sticking with it is in conflict with your later assertion that a person using an unfeathered paddle can use any paddle.
Please consider, why would using an unfeathered paddle allow one to roll with a feathered paddle, but not the opposite?

Drysuit will change your life - at least on late fall/winter/early spring weekends when the water is open and you can get out and paddle. Best piece of gear that I ever bought.

2 Likes

Seconded and agreed! Nothing extends a paddling season or less time between swims more!!!:laughing:

1 Like

The reason I said that if you use an unfeathered paddle you can use almost any paddle is that almost all paddles available today that are adjustable can be set at a 0Ā° or unfeathered angle. Almost all Greenland paddles are unfeathered. Some older Euro paddles had limited angle adjustments, like 0Ā° or 45Ā° right.

If you paddle a feathered paddle, you might have trouble trying use a paddle that canā€™t be set to the angle that you are used to. For example going from a paddle feathered at 30Ā° right and then using a Greenland paddle or a Euro paddle that canā€™t be set to 30Ā° right. If using a feathered paddle that is not the angle that you are used to and not in muscle memory you are more likely to blow a sudden brace or roll.

Feathered paddles, as long as you are used to them, should make no difference as far as rolling, bracing, or everyday paddling. Itā€™s only when you start changing up the feather angle.

Feathered or unfeathered is up to the user. A perfectly valid reason to use a feathered paddle is if that is what you are most comfortable with, not the conditions on any one day.

1 Like

If you want to make paddling hard just try paddling with a left handed ww kayak paddle. I had a buddy that got hooked on one of those. Now heā€™s ruined. Heā€™s gotta carry his own spare- so he carries a universal to manage the unusual offset. Because heā€™s got the spare I often donā€™t carry one. So Iā€™m kinda glad he went left handed with a universal feather angle for a spare.

As far as feather angle and rollingā€¦Well thatā€™s just a very big deal for me right now. Changing how the paddle plains near the surface is a big deal when youā€™re not solid. Anytime I switch paddles I like to try a roll as well. Sometimes it ainā€™t pretty. Taking time to adjust the paddle blade angle before a 2nd attempt.

Then again weā€™re all between swims.

True, if you donā€™t practice it on both sides.
Iā€™m not ambidextrous, but I got used to using a feathered paddle in either direction (depending on wind direction - ie: water spray).
If conditions are hazardous (eg surf) I will unfeather them. And - if feathered and I get knocked over - will ā€˜feelā€™ for the blade before rolling.

1 Like