West Greenland or Brit day boat

I’ve been reading
I’ve been reading the Morris SOF book, and it sounds to me like you REALLY need to consider the SOF route. You can build exactly what you want, custom fit to you, at a fraction of the price, and at extremely light weights. If you’re don’t have the space or time to build, you could even commission a custom boat for less or equal money than a new fg boat would cost.

More on Pintail
Yes, I know the feeling of trying to maneuver an almost 18 foot kayak. Am 56, and pretty fit, but still… I have the ultralight version of the Pintail, which comes in at 47 pounds with a foot pump. I load it on and off a VW Eurovan Camper (have to clamber onto the roof to tie it down) or a Saab 9000 with J brackets. It is much easier to manage than my Quest (or likely your Aquanaut), and I don’t find the length as much an issue as weight. Not to discourage you from a SOF, which would be fun, but if your primary goal is a low weight day/play boat and cost isn’t an issue, then the Pintail is a hoot. On the other hand, it isn’t particularly fast. You can see the bow wake increase at about 4 knots, so if I’m going out for anything over 15 miles, I usually take the Quest. Tradeoffs…

SOF, Pintail…

– Last Updated: Nov-04-04 2:49 PM EST –

Yes, someday I may commission a boat. I haven't looked very far, but the prices I've seen for custom built boat seem to be around $5000. It would be a long time before I could afford that for a day boat.

The Pintail is a very neat boat. Had I the room for another 17'+ boat it would be tempting. They also turn up used often.

Also, I think I might like something with a more significantly different hull profile than my Aquanaut - whose hull profile ultimately derives from the Pintail. (Anas Acuta - Pintail - Avocet - Argonaut - Aquanaut.)

I think
From what I have seen the 5k mark is more for strip built kayaks. I’m thinking skin-on-frames are more around the 2000-2500 mark? I could be wrong.

Willow Kayaks
He has like two stock size, Greenland style and 4 stock size Baidarka. Actually the smaller baidarka looks interesting and the diagram shows some rocker:

http://www.imaginelan.com/willow/excalibur_data.html

I would thing some customization needs to happen to get the masik and footbeam right.

sing

One additional Pintail consideration
While I dearly love my Pintail for playing in rough water and rocks, it’s a real pig on flat water. It hits the wall at ~4 knots and there’s not much point in trying to push it any faster. The Anas Acuta is a bit better in that regard. It feels faster and it approches its limit more gradually.

Superior Kayaks

– Last Updated: Nov-05-04 2:40 AM EST –

I was looking at Superior Kayaks site. Their stated price is $5700. This includes such boats as Artic, Sea & Sparrow Hawks.

I don't know if their price is typical.

http://www.superiorkayaks.com/

Anas - Pintail
Brian, thank you. I was wondering about that.

How gradually a boat hits ‘the wall’ does make a difference. This is a major reason why I am not considering replacing my plastic Elaho with a composite one.

IINM
I think the $5700 price is for strip yaks. Those are apparently always much more than SOFs. I’m not sure whether or not Superior makes custom SOFs, but I know they offer a course. Site says 1400-1600 dollars for a course where you make your own in one week, tools/materials included.

If you can find an experienced amatuer SOF builder in your area, you could probably coerce them to build you one for under 2k. Judging from the attitudes of many of the SOFers I have seen on the net, many are just looking for another excuse to build. If you can offer an excuse to build, as well as finance their next yak, I think they’d be all over it. Might be worth looking into?

Greenland or Brit boat
The Kajaksport Viking is a fast, small greenland style boat with low rear deck. I have paddled this boat hard for 4 years. The v is quite pronounced and the secondary stability is solid and predictable.

Kajak-Sport Viking

– Last Updated: Nov-05-04 9:45 AM EST –

The Viking Expedition is on my short list.

Its decks are a bit higher than I would like. And it's not exactly a playful boat. It is very fast for its OAL. It's faster than many expedition length boats. Also quality of Kajak-Sport boats is unsurpassed.

Almost bought one this Autumn, just could not carve out the time to make the drive to meet the seller.

Superior Kayak construction
The boats I was looking at are described as follows: Wood Kayak Construction - Mahogany, Epoxy and Fiberglass are ideal construction materials for today’s hard shelled kayaks. We use high quality, 3 ply marine grade Okoume plywood and West System epoxy. We sandwich the ply between multiple layers of fiberglass cloth. Our kayaks are completely fiberglassed inside and out to create kayaks that are incredibly strong, durable and very lightweight.

I think you are right that the best bet is to find an enthusiast whois willing to build for me. I know a couple builders personally and there are a good number around.