Wet Suit Fit????????

Neoprene will not last five years
Simple air oxidation will make even synthetic rubber detereorate over time. Buy a wetsuit that fits tight and it will loosen up when you get it wet.

I don’t think anyone is trying to
hypnotize anyone else here, or to induce the gasp reflex by suggestion. A wetsuit provides insulation against the effects of SUDDEN IMMERSION in very cold water. People who have experienced the gasp reflex (obviously not you)have usually been those with NO cold water protection, who have unexpectedly been immersed in very cold water.

Go with snug
As long as it’s not uncomfortably tight. Loose is no good in a wetsuit and you will get cold. They do stretch a little over time as well. If you’re planning paddling in below 55 degree water, invest in a drysuit.

Got to agree with be here now on this

– Last Updated: Oct-31-04 2:24 AM EST –

Seen quite a few people suck down twenty minutes of air in five minutes on the surface getting used to the temp; all of us in wetsuits. You bet this is changing their blood chemistry (noted by Be Here on another thread) and some are close to hyperventilation, Definitely not in full control.

Pressure gauges on scuba tanks don't lie! wise divers use a snorkel on the surface till the water in their suit warms up, and they adjust, saving the tank for dive time.

Seen it all the time with lots of folks. I have scuba dived with about 200 people total in winter Florida waters. As the flunky to the dive master many times I have filled tanks, checked folks gauges, and and given the "stay on snorkel" advice lots and lots of times and seen the results of it being disregarded.

Perhaps in wild white water situations you and your buds have already gotten wet, have gotten water in your suits and warmed it up,, closed off a lot of circulation to the skin, etc. You might be 2/3 acclimated to the cold water before inversion or a swim. This pre wetting might account for your experience. Care to consider it and come back?

Pre wetting is not the case with Joe sea kayaker. Even those with a roll are often pretty dry before a capsize. Surf kayaking: similar to whitewater.

I think it's dangerous to pooh-pooh the gasp reflex and way outside the consensus of knowledgeable sea kayakers, I cannot speak for WW kayakers.

Competetive swimmers will usually pre-wet right before the start to avoid the shock of cold water. We kept our pool right at the legal minmum for competetion just to shock the opposition. twice in my last five years of swimming we had to forfeit a meet because the opposition coach had brought a thermometer.

Your mileage and reactions to cold may, of course, vary.

BTW for a great primer on respiratory alkalosis see "the Andromeda strain", a great movie.

Where is the problem in fit for you?
I have seen extensions that allow for adjustments in the shoulders. Check the NRS catalog or website. Since you are coming to the Monterey Bay, perhaps you van just visit one of our local surf/wetsuit shops when you arrive? O’Neils is based here, and they have very helpful sales people, and quality wetsuits, both new and used. You can also check the selection of gear for layering at MBK and kayak Connection.

BTW, I tend to agree with those who caution paddlers not to under-estimate the gasp reflex phenomena. I experiemced it once myself in a rescue and recovery class. I was probably mildly hypothermic before entering the water, but nevertheless, it did surprise me. I had on mysteriosa fleece under my westuit and was warm within a few minutes. It has caused me to be very respectful of the dangers of hypothermia in our local waters.

That said, my 15 year old is a skilled swimmer and very good jr. lifeguard and he can swim around the wharf without any immersion gear in the warmer months! When he used to surf, he found he got chilled easier and he wore a 4mm wetsuit with booties in the winter.

Low probability Lethal Consequence

– Last Updated: Nov-02-04 3:38 PM EST –

It is difficult to find what is an acceptable risk in kayaking with cold water being one of the most lethal aspects of the possibilities.

Just as you say, sometimes, or even most times no gasp reflex, mentally prepared, ate food so internal stove stoked up, maybe not super thin, muscles warmed up, just lucky, etc. For many years I got away with it, like you say your son great swimmer, would push the risk down to very unlikely. The problem for me was that I got away with only looking at the low probability part of the equation and averted my planning about the how serious the consequence part.

That is the deal here with what "respecting the ocean" means. One mess up 40 yards from the dock, suck in water, down you go, just that fast. Evidently, you just cannot count on skills, fat layer, or any factor, cold shock can and will occur maybe when least expect it and it is totally involuntary if strong enough.

When it happened to me, I did not realize that I was near an underground spring feeding 40 or so degree water into a 65 degree lake. Just about bought it. Yes it is a hassle to keep the wetsuit on, cover the armpits, shoulders, neck, but hey, we can always dunk ourselves in the water and chill.

also a reason
to always wear your pfd.