Wet Suit Fit

trying loose vs. skin tight wetsuits
…is a very good suggestion. But suppose the suits you are considering are not available in two sizes for rental. Now you are back in the store with the big and small models. What do you suggest are the keys things to consider with repsect to fit.

Henderson’s site, for example, states that "Many suits may feel comfortable in the store only to be too big once used in the water. " What is it about being used in the water that makes a suit become too big? The only conclusion I can draw is that comfortable in the store is not what you want. Instead, you want some degree of tightness (= discomfort) but not too much.

Would those who are experienced please make two checklists for use in the store by kayakers

1. A wetsuit is too tight if…, and

2. A wetsuit is a good fit if…

This would be helpful to first-time wetsuit shoppers who cannot try before you buy.

Thanks in advance.

trying before buying
…is a very good suggestion. But suppose the suits you are considering are not available in two sizes for rental. Now you are back in the store with the big and small models. What do you suggest are the keys things to consider with repsect to fit.

Henderson’s site, for example, states that "Many suits may feel comfortable in the store only to be too big once used in the water. " What is it about being used in the water that makes a suit become too big? The only conclusion I can draw is that comfortable in the store is not what you want. Instead, you want some degree of tightness (= discomfort) but not too much.

Would those who are experienced please make two checklists for use in the store by kayakers

1. A wetsuit is too tight if…, and

2. A wetsuit is a good fit if…

This would be helpful to first-time wetsuit shoppers who cannot try before you buy.

Thanks in advance.

BTW I posted this as a reply to a message but my reply got buried deep inside a series of messages. Just getting used to the format of this forum – which has been very helpful.