Wet suits/dry suits - help

tides, currents…NM

Wetsuits from NRS,
Hi–

NRS often has great deals on wetsuits, and farmer johns are always nice to have. For years, I wore an NRS farmer john (and definately go up one size–it will still probably be very tight). I finally got a dry suit (a semi-drysuit, to be honest) from River Connection, but the choking feeling means I only use it during the spring and fall. Eventually, you’ll probably want a dry suit, but a wet suit is fine to start with–and a whole lot cheaper. Damper and clammier, but less of a struggle to get in and out of. When nrs hydroskin goes on sale, they can be great too. Most people up here on Lake Superior seem to use wetsuits all summer, and switch to hydroskin when the water warms up for a week or two in August. We probably should use our drysuits more often.

Surfskin Tops/Bottoms
A popular option in my neck of the woods has been Kokatats Surfskin LS Shirts and Pants. Gives you layering options and works extremely well as a windblocking fleece lined rubber garment.

Yet another option to the Springtime puzzle.

Some of them on eBay! stores

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

NRS F John/Jane

– Last Updated: Apr-27-07 8:47 AM EST –

Granted my wife and I are new at this; however, after getting our light touring kayaks last summer, we wanted to extend our season this year.

We live a litle further south in New Hampshire. We both purchased NRS Farmer John/Jane wetsuits (about $90 on sale with 20% discount) for ourselves and a shortsleve polly T-shirt each, and a pair of booties (NRS for me, LL Bean for her).

We went on a touring trip last weekend (22 April), and because of the heavy rains the weekend prior, there ended up being two class II's at the beginning of the "Touring" trip.

Needless to say, as a beginner, I went in, boat filled with water, I went out, on first Class II. (We both had planned to do a school/lessons before we ever went near a Class II!) However, weather didn't co-operate.)

While the weather had actually turned nice, 70 degrees air temp on land that day (rare in April in NE!) The water was still quite brisk! Though my arms were a little cool, I was quite comfortable. However, I could feel the effect of the cold water, as I did find it harder to breathe than normal, rather quickly. (key was relaxing.)

A little later, after getting to the flatter part of the river, many of us - everyone had wetsuits, no dry suits - purposely went into the water.

Now, on a cooler humid, foggy day - maybe a longsleve polly T might have been better, or even a non-Farmer type wetsuit. Otherwise, I found our NRS Farmer's Okay.

I agree about calling for fit. My wife ad I were both near the upper range of the size chart, and we both ordered the next size up. Fits, just right.

P.S. Go with a group, preferrably with at least one person trained in safety.Rescue. We would never have done this on our own. We primarily do quiet water lakes and ponds, just ourselves.

However, we would never attempt a river even the seemingly quiet water, in any possible adverse conditions, without at least someone else. And never a trip like this outside a group with at least one trained in rescue - even when we are able to take a class.

Highly reccommend trips through the AMC. We paddle with the NH-AMC paddlers. In AMC, can not lead a trip unless rated and trained.