What are your thoughts......a dog on a paddle with a large MeetUp group

When it gets nasty, Paris goes below deck

really stabilizes the kayak as well

6 Likes

also elicits the question “are you packing a Parson Russell Terrier or are you just happy to see me?”

8 Likes

I have a Border Collie, king of dogs. She is in charge of camp security. She watches over me when I sleep. She chases bears out of camp. She is very well behaved, better than a lot of people. No dogs, I am not going. Natives always have dogs.

I joined a hiking club once in Denver. No dogs, no blue jeans allowed. See ya. I have enough trouble with groups that I select much less a big group of unknown newbies.

No jeans makes sense. I had a woman show up in jeans for a 12 mile hike on a cold, windy day .
Then it rained. She also didn’t have a raincoat. We got her to shelter as she was turning blue.

2 Likes

I’ve been on a lot of group paddles. I’ve been on many where someone has brought a dog. It’s been fairly uncommon though. I’ve never noted a pet demanding more attention than any random stranger paddling. I generally enjoy the company of most pets and people though. I suppose I’m a person with a lot of paddling experience who’s never experienced a reason to consider one way or the other.

1 Like

I allow dogs on our trips on a case by case basis. We have a lot of people in our group that have well trained dogs, so it is usually not an issue. In my experience, owners of poorly behaved dogs only take them out once or twice and get tired of the pup jumping out to swim or worse turning the boat over. We also require all dogs to be on a leash in camp or on a lunch stop so they aren’t begging for food.