What canoe did you start in?

I first paddled pirogues in the bayous
and swamps around home. Kids would hide them in the swamps, sinking them in the water. But my friend and I figured that out. We pulled them up, emptied them and paddled them around. We’d then sink them again. Cheap and easy, as long as you didn’t get caught. : )

The first boat I owned was a 100-pound scanoe, bought for $150. A woman I worked with would pick up me and the boat in her truck a couple times a week to paddle.

Now I kayak, but do want a canoe again, though something I can carry alone.

ww kayak
Yup. Started paddling in a generic whitewater plastic fantastic in the mid-1970s and graduated to the comfort and all-around practicality of a canoe and haven’t looked back.

I don’t do serious whitewater anymore either, and I’m continually puzzled why someone would choose an uncomfortable, impractical kayak for casual recreational paddling.

Whatever.

Oh, the question? An Old Town Discovery 164.

Smoker Craft
After my first canoe experience (and that was a 6 night with no previous canoe experience BW trip) I came home and bought an alu 17 foot Smoker Craft canoe that weighed 80+ pounds. Used that for years and years (34) until sold it and bought something lighter in my bit of advancing years. If starting out I’d recommend an good alu canoe (Gru). It can take the bruises and scratches, has minimal upkeep, and do a decent job.

Grumman 18
In 1969 my dad bought a 4 year old Grumman;I was 3 at the time. Now its mine and its still the best in the fleet.

I’ve never…
worked for Grumman, but I think the boats were built (and still are) in Marathon, NY. Home of a great maple syrup festivle, if you care for the weather in upstate NY in March. Bought one there once, and drove past it many times.

T

Why kayak?
I guess it’s where you paddle, friend.

Kayaks have only one true advantage. Cutting through wind and wave.

T

wind and wave
When there is wind and wave the proper place for a gentleman to be is either in the cockpit of a lively, responsive sailboat or sitting on the yacht club deck enjoying a drink with one’s mates.

Grumman and Merrimac
Learned to paddle in a friend’s Grumman 17.

First canoe actually owned was a pretty little slowpoke Merrimac 13 - bought new on Jan 1, 1973 after a snowstorm from dealer’s snowed-in lot for $200 - my first boat bargain. Think he needed cash for plow.

I’m slipping though - actually paid as high as $400 for a used Dagger Cortez yesterday (with nice demo). Wife says “Don’t you have enough boats?” Hahaha

I’m sure I’ll agree…
In fifteen or twenty years :wink:

T

I once watched a wasp-waisted
gal take a lake keel 17’ Grumman down Tesnatee Creek and the Chestatee. She was so light and smart that the keel never caught. She ran Capitol Steps, a rapid few have seen; Coppermine, and Blasted Rocks. It was kind of an exploration trip, back in '77. These runs are listed on AW river information for Georgia.

You can do a lot in an unwieldy craft in whitewater if it is not overloaded and you have good anticipation.

if you’re still alive …
… two summers ago I found myself perched atop the first big boulder of my local class III-IV 3-mile run.

It sure smelled good, but after awhile I began to wonder what it was that made me think it was exciting and fun to run this stretch of river 25 years ago.

Dunno … it just seems stupid now – which is not to say that a bunch of my 55+ buddies are still doing it.

They also find sailboats, flat-water paddling, and sipping cocktails on the patio to be boring; poor souls.

Go figure.

XR trekking
made by Metzeler- a duckie…