what did they eat?

Suz, no I haven’t but would love to
and Richard said ‘I found that food wasn’t so important just a necessity’ I’ve seen this mentality with the Thru-hikers on the AT…food is really pushed back on the burners UNTIL they hike into a town-then they all become Hoovers.

Thanks for setting me straight on the Maine paddling trail.

And there is always caching and drop delivery of food :slight_smile:

Ratlers are reallygood eating
all white meat.

Survival: everything to minimal consumption including water. In the summer 3 gallons of fluids will last a week. Paddling 8-10 or 12 hours a day is exhausting and food consumption will be minimal.

After a couple of days you will realize that you don’t need that much food.

"3 gallons of liquid"
Three gallons of rum just about lasts a week. We usually set up our menas such that each individual does their own breakfast and lunch, and dinner is a group meal, all taking a turn at it. The standard fare is a constant stream of home-made jerky and dried apples, with and occasional store-bought energy bar. Lunch is often just a pb sandwich, maybe some carrots. Dinners begin with fresh stuff like kabobs or burgers, greens etc. By the end of one week, it’s usually mostly freeze dried dinners or home-dried stuff like chili. Turnips, zuccini, squash, sweet potatoes all keep for a long time if you want to carry the weight.

I like to forage along the way to augment. Watch for red tide if you think about mussels, but wild peas, morel mushrooms, chives, blueberries, even corn has found it’s way onto my plate. Spruce gum too!

I don’t paddle much outside FL,

– Last Updated: Apr-06-08 7:35 PM EST –

as it provides me with all I need for sustenance so I don't carry much in the way of provisions, even for a two month outing. Since I know a little about survival and foraging techniques for what grows wild down here I prefer to take just a few days supply of dried foods and lots of one of my daughters' home-made tropical fruit pemmican.
Here's just a few samples of what the Florida wilds offers me to dine on:
Meats... fish (about 30 salt and freshwater species to dine on, with snook, snappers, mullet, just a few of my favorites), crawdads, blue crab, stone crab claws, squirrel, rabbit, quail, dove, duck...
Fruits... over 110 varieties.
Vegetables... over 30 var.
Carbs and starches... over 20 var.
Nuts and grains... over 60 var.
Drinks (teas & juices)... over 50 var.
Herbs & Spices...over 20 var.
Other useful plants (meds & others)... over 40 and counting.
(update)
My meals:
Breakfast... fried panfish w/ local herbs and spices, pancakes (made from duck potato, cattail heads and/or tubers, wild buckwheat, etc.) topped w/ local berries and/or fragrant water-lily blooms (seasonal) w/ fruit on the side w/ 2 cups of high-octane yaupon tea.
Brunch... raw fruits and veggies (or pemmican) w/ beach morning-glory tea (if coastal paddling) or other native teas.
Lunch... fish soup or game stew w/ nh&s, more fruit and or veggies or a salad w/ last cup of yaupon tea for the day.
Mid-afternoon break... sassafras tea, crawdad or crab boil w/nh&s, veggie soup w/nh&s.
Dinner... roasted game or seafood w/ h&s, soup, veggies, fruit for dessert and any relaxing tea (chamomile, catnip, st.john's wart, etc.)
So take a little time to study what's growing wild in the areas in which you paddle/camp and you'd be surprised how you can put such knowledge to use. I do suggest you use wisdom with this knowledge. I pick only 10% or less, none if the flora I'm wanting is fairly rare in that particular area. I also try to propagate (whenever possible) whatever flora I may be harvesting. That way I might have as much, if not more, the next time I forage in that area.
I hope this helps.

Food For A Long Trip
We take our food very seriously. If you go to a large “good” supermarket you can find lots of good stuff where the overpriced/bland freeze dried stuff is just not needed. I’m talking about soups, pasta dishes, rice dishes, dried fruits, dried viggies, etc. Now you ccan get tuna, salmon, and even shrimp in pouches. There is precooked bacon that does not need refrigeration as well. Depending on where you live you can get dried sausage (not jerky), spanish chorizo,and all kind of goodies. If you have a large Asian or Hispanic market you can get dries whole milk (we hate skim)and Tang. We also take whole grain pita bread which makes a great sandwich or toast - put it on a hot pan with some butter (or gui) and dried minced onion. The options get better every year. We have lasted 8 days with one duluth food pack.

Ice Cream in Round Top
And if you dodge in towards Crow you can even officially be pretty near the Maine Island Trail…