what, exactly is

Kayak Surfing A La Jalama '05
http://www.uswestsurfkayak.com/jalama%20final%20_2.wmv

sing

us pinheads who go out alone
yes I am a pinhead too.

You can surf a long boat and it can be quite graceful, fun, and challenging. But I think the surf boat with rails and fins makes the event a lot more fun. You get good rides on smaller days with a sea kayak for sure. But it also depends if you are a pinhead who is only ping-ponging near shore, or if you are trying to get somewhere.

after reading many times over and

– Last Updated: Dec-06-05 3:19 PM EST –

dilidgently following links, i have concluded the following:

1. this is a blast!

2. if i were going to do it i would want to do it with a boat styled and dedicated to this particular activity, and

3. my priority on the learning curve would be skills more geared toward sea kayaking rather than kayak surfing.

That’s what I thought I was doing… playing in the surf to develop my sea kayaking skills. I surfed long boats for two years before getting first into a white water boat and then surf boats and then waveskis.

My passion for riding surf has outstripped my interests in paddling around in the long boat. Never intended it. Just happened.

sing

Nothing like it…
This might sound narrow minded…but once you go out and experience the true surfing of a wave in a surf designed /wave ski/kayak… flat water paddling will become a very distant second choice. Surfing a wave is a very dynamic experience…no two waves are exactly the same…

A friend told me the same thing when I started windsurfing…once you go out in the ocean and catch some waves you will only want to sail flat water as a last resort…After mastering the basic aspects of the sport and moving thru speed sailing gear and then race gear I ended up in the surf…and he was right…if there isn’t waves I really don’t want to even go sailing anymore.

Be careful…if you try surfing in a surf specific boat there may be no turning back…LOL

Give it a real chance, if you go out there in a flat water boat you will not get the same rush…beg, borrow or rent a surf boat.

Regards,

Waterrat

Warning!
If you ride just one wave in a surf specific craft, you will be instantly addicted. Withdrawal is virtually impossible. There is no known cure for this disorder… and it gets progressively more intense with time. Waking hours will be consumed with getting the next fix. Dreams will be dominated with images of all things paddle related. Budgets will be trashed by the need to own more and higher performance wave riding craft. Jobs will be lost as a result of too many missed days that coincided with a fine swell pumping at a beach near you. Traditional relationships will suffer because you are unable to relate to those not similarily addicted.

So be forewarned, do NOT try this sport unless you are willing to give up all other life pursuits.

Stop It!

– Last Updated: Dec-06-05 4:55 PM EST –

you surfers of doom and gloom!

sing

Still looking for my next waveski.

Yea…
JLK… thats what I am talking about!..Spoken like a true surf junky…sounds like you have personal experience in this addiction…LOL

Regards,

Waterrat