what have you found floating down the river?

On a local river there is a late sixties pepsi machine sticking out of the mud flat. I am pretty sure it did not float there based on the weight, there are no roads within 2 miles of the machine. I often wonder as I paddle by- just how did it get there. Anyone that would have dumped it would have to put it in a boat and then throw it overboard. it seems like a lot of effort to get rid of it.

There are also Tigers in SC and we are an adventuresome bunch not to mention National Champions.

So far the bowling ball wins IMHO

Perhaps it was a hidden surprise for a cigarette boat?

I found a kayak, 5% floating, 95% under the water, on the Potomac near DC. Just a bit of the bow was above the surface, and I thought it was a rock, but it was moving slightly in the current. This happened during a drought year several years back, when the river was at record low flows. The amount of river slime accumulated on the hull indicated it had been underwater a long time, and I remember thinking, what made the kayak come to the surface? Perhaps the low river level revealed it, or was it gas from decomposition that brought it up? Among the scariest experiences, was turning it cockpit up. I remember thinking, “please don’t be a body, please don’t be a body.” It was a fishing kayak and tethered to the river bottom, which is very deep at that spot and composed of large boulders and rocks, so possibly a fisherman anchored it and the anchor got stuck. A mystery, and I’ll never know the whole story.

I have found and retrieved two refrigerators from different locations of the Patuxent River. My buddy tried paddling one. That didn’t work out well. Primary stability is poor and secondary stability just isn’t.

I found two kayaks in the the woods off the river, which turned out to have been stolen from another guy in the paddling club, who was very glad to get them back.

It is amazing to find full, old-style pop top cans in the river. I’ve found a couple of those.

I found a bicycle-messenger style bag in the Potomac near Harpers Ferry. That’s not such an unusual find, but I’m still impressed by the contents: a stick of deodorant. That was it. Who the hell needs a bag to carry a stick of deodorant. I threw the deodorant out and recycled the bag, which I still use when I haul my laptop around: a nice Ecko Unlimited brand bag.

On the Pacific coast islands off Vancouver Island, in 2012 there was a lot of Japanese fishing trash. Maybe that is a regular thing for that location, but at the time, I wondered if it was outwash from the big Tsunami they had.

~~Chip

A few weeks ago I found a Columbia Rain Jacket hung up on a log like a big green bubble, It’s like new, and slightly big XL, but hey, the price was right!

A few years ago we were canoeing a local river with a county conservation staffer when he pulled a large black plastic garbage bag out of the river. It turned out to be the remains of a meth lab.

Man, these are great stories.

Fun stuff. The refrigerators and Pepsi machine are a bit of a reality check. I like the floating brain thing.

Never came across a meth lab but did come across a small floating wooden container that had a metal fake cigarette and some funny green tobacco in it.

Never found a sex toy but did find a little itsy busty teeny black g-string at a put-in that must have had a good story behind it. I decided not to take that home to avoid any discussion with the wife.

Did find 2 pfd’s and 2 carbon kayak paddles at a takeout where the owners clearly drove away before they finished loading up. I took those to the ranger station, not because I’m a nice guy but mostly because hey - it was kayak stuff.

Also 2 or 3 full tackle boxes, at least half a dozen rods and reels, and one cool retro fiberglass speedboat about 2 feet underwater near a takeout.

I’m willing to trade a double barrel super soaker for the XL raincoat.

@TomL said:
itsy busty

Can’t be both lol

I type Bitsy and this time my iPad changes it to Botany. Frickin smart devices.

This appeared in my news feed today: http://www.wxii12.com/article/kayakers-find-prosthetic-leg-on-dan-river/10366052

ROCKINGHAM COUNTY, N.C. —
Sheriff’s deputies in Rockingham County are trying to find the owner of a prosthetic leg.

Kayakers found the leg while they were on the Dan River on July 12.

Sure beats the fishing tackle and beer cans I usually find.

You go on our local rivers after a storm or flood event and find all kinds of things. The most amusing thing we’ve found on a paddle was a sign from a dating web site. They mounted it on one of the kayaks and paraded it back to the put in.

Brand spanking new Tilley hat that had washed up on shore last weekend. Pretty stoked about that find! And it fits perfectly!

On a trip down the Edisto, a large pinkish object was floating in shallow water
I paddled over to investigate, and just before I got there, it stood up!
It was a guy snorkling for artifacts. We were both a bit startled.
The Edisto has been navigated for hundreds of years and been crossed by a couple of armies.

An old hot tub…
This boat paddles like a tub!

@eckilson said:
An old hot tub…

Pretty good… but what class of rapids did you take it down? :wink:

@eckilson said:
An old hot tub…

that would be a “plastic tub” of a kayak…or should we say coracle?
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01538/p_coracle_1538802c.jpg

I found this hot tub; on Shackleford Banks NC, about 2 years ago. I assume it floated off, from either Beaufort or Harker’s Island. Then drifted across Core Sound. It looked to like new. Wish I could of towed it home.

@Overstreet said:

@eckilson said:
An old hot tub…

that would be a “plastic tub” of a kayak…or should we say coracle?
i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01538/p_coracle_1538802c.jpg

The Oracle of Coracle
some Fry or Try Your Luck
tried a new role
off some atoll
for whom bell doomed
got stuck

thus to confound
theatre in round
where therein lie the rub
and now to bring
one man circus ring
dubbed Not So Hot In Tub

Paddled a river yesterday. Meanders through a nature preserve. Picked the wrong time, as it was a stellar sunny 77F day here. Paddling upstream back to my car, came across an assorted zoo animal flotilla of around 15 (including a beer float) led by a winged unicorn traveling backwards: