What I want you folk to do

Dream is ill-formed yet

– Last Updated: Dec-14-06 1:30 AM EST –

My dream trip is something that my skills are not yet up for. Plus there are too many places I want to paddle to be able to pick just one!

So, in the meantime, I will go with the flow and work on getting better. This does not bother me. I just love being on the water, whether it's a glorious, exotic location or a mundane local day trip.

I will say that my dream trip involves paddling a fairly long distance (500 to 1000 miles), camping, lots of marine wildlife, mostly unpopulated area, and lots of quiet time to write and take photos. Possibly a solo trip, which makes it even more important that I move up the learning curve.

Sounds good to me
My dream trip would involve self-supported camping but I like not-roughing it, too.

Saw some ads for luxurious basecamp paddling in the BC area that look wonderful! Large tents with porches on wooden platforms directly overlooking the water, hot showers nearby, ready shelter from the rain, aaaahhhh.

Yeah, what’s yours, Salty?
And don’t tell us it’s jetskiing the Inside Passage!

Or is “dream trip” not restricted to paddling? Hmmm, that brings up some interesting multi-modal ideas…

Did mine this summer. My wife and I
Spent 6 days paddling and camping up the East Arm of Glacier Bay to the Muir Glacier and back by ourselves. We then spent a couple of days paddling around the Beardslee Islands. That was after driving there from MA. Only problem is we now have to find something to top it. Any ideas? Baja? Newfoundland?

I hope you made it through that
cut in the Beardslees and got back to the NP headquarters before dark.

We missed it and paddled right by it. When we finally back tracked and found it, it was too late, the tide was out, and we had to pull our yaks through almost the whole way.

We had visions of spending the night on one of the beaches were we spotted a bear.

cheers,

jackL

Lake Tahoe… The whole 72 miles!!
Wife (non-paddling) will be the support team… a diff hotel every night… no camping this time!!

This August (or before)… Can’t wait!!

Dry Turkey
Istanbul and Cappadoccia, NOT near the ocean.

But I went to several of the Greek Islands the previous year and have some vague recollection of the geography.

So how was it growing up in the base? My friend in Istanbul was a “cultural & language instructor” for the military for over 20 years. Turkey isn’t the easiest country to adjust to.

BC Paddling…
…is fantastic!

Too many places to go.

I was
I was totally thinking of a different John A. What were you two thinking? I think we’re going to do Tofte to Devil’s Island.

wrong forum

– Last Updated: Dec-14-06 11:58 AM EST –

This clearly belongs in the paddlers place discussion forum.

Just wanted to save g2d the trouble (but I wasn't an editor or anything...)

Seriously, Baja for two weeks is on my to do list.

Happy holidays back @ ya!

sounds great
How are you getting to Beaver island, from the U.P.?

I’ve thought a lot about island hopping to the garden islands from Fayette state park. Also did a 2 dayer along sleeping bear.

If you’re ever in the charlevoix area and want to paddle look me up.

Didn’t Live On Base
We lived in the local economy. We moved there when I was six months old and stayed until I was almost ten, so I really didn’t know any different. It was coming back to the states that was a adjustment

California Coast
Open coast.

first: Point Reyes coast, as a warm up.

second: The Lost Coast, up north.

Third: The Central Coast – save the best for last.

– Anyone have the balls (stupidity) to come with?

Thanks!
This summer won’t touch the U.P. as it stands; we’re bending east once we get to Squaw Island. The distance from Squaw to Point Pattersen in the U.P. is only about 9.5 miles if I remember correctly though. The doosy is between North Manitou and South Fox, which is 19 approx.

A couple of friends of mine were seriously considering the Garden Peninsula last year, but it didn’t pan out. Let me know if you start planning and need cohorts. I doubt I’d be able to do both of these legs in one summer though.

Jim

Georgia Coast
It’s the longest stretch of coastal wilderness on the Eastern Seaboard. 110 miles +/-

The water is too murky though.
Cheers,

JackL

We started our paddle going through
that cut and then went counter clockwise. The tide was running out when we started and if we had waited another 20 min we would have not been able to use it. Nice 15 mile paddle around the islands. I loved it up there.

longshadow
How much time are you planning for the trip?

I’m looking to get some trip time in this summer (was considering an isle royale circumnavigation). So likewise, if you need more numbers I might want to get in on the fun.

A fellow masochist! I’ll email ya.

My dream is to go sea kayaking
with all those big glasiors and stuff. That looks so freaking kwel